24 FPS Output

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

24 FPS Output

Post by rolandmc »

Is it in the works to add 24 FPS output as an option? If not, can we get it on the list?

Thank you.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: 24 FPS Output

Post by Arvol »

Set your monitors refresh rate to 24 and it will auto sync to it (If V-Sync is turned on, and it SHOULD be turned on), OR, just manually set Resolume's engine to run at 24 under settings ;)

rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by rolandmc »

Yeah there's no option for 24 FPS in settings, it just goes as low as 25 for me, unless I'm doing something silly. But if "auto" does it when I send a 24hz from windows then that would be good enough for me.

Thanks.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

on macOS, you can use software called SwitchResX to alter the refresh rate of the HDMI output. Maybe 24.0Hz is a viable option. Although, in my experience, I wouldn't do that.

I personally would rather use Resolume on 24.0 FPS, then output NDI to an NDI-HDMI decoder that will output 24.0 Hz, such as Sienna NDI Monitor on the Apple TV platform.

I like that better than using the GPU outputs from a computer cause it's less demanding on the computer resources in my limited experience.

Hope this helps!

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I would disagree. NDI is pretty expensive on the CPU not to mention the latency and additional hardware needed for this configuration. I have an old HP laptop with a 2GB Intel GPU that can output a 4k@60 comp with 1 layer with no issues.
If you're running DXV3 content (as you should! lol) there is very limited resources being spent as the DXV3 codec is pretty decompressed so the larger file sizes equal less system resources being spent.

NDI is fantastic for sending signal when latency isn't an issue from machine to machine, or from source (camera, etc) to machine, but the more you use it the more it uses your resources. A 1080p@60 stream is 250Mbps, 4 streams and your at your gigabit bandwidth limitations, and each stream uses about 10-15% of my CPU resources.

I'd recommend doing your own tests to see what affect it has on your system.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 22:52 I would disagree. NDI is pretty expensive on the CPU not to mention the latency and additional hardware needed for this configuration.
Newtek says NDI is 250fps per CPU core, at 1080p. It is based on MPEG-2 from the year 1995. Using 2020 CPUs with a codec from 1995 is not hard on CPUs at all.

Mainly mentioned it for users who want 24.0 Hz output for some particular reason. You could use a Blackmagic Decklink Quad2 for this, sure. But, I think NDI is less computationally intensive than moving uncompressed video frames on the PCIe bus and out of a Blackmagic card. And, I believe the refresh rate out of the Apple TV 4K is more stable than out a Mac mini and SwitchResX set to 24.0 Hz. I have actually measured it using some developer tools.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

I've measured it on the 3.5 years I had NDI cams on tour. It's heavier than you would think ;)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 23:03 I've measured it on the 3.5 years I had NDI cams on tour. It's heavier than you would think ;)
Probably all the other overhead in your software applications mucking things up! : )

I have used clean implementations of NDI that are as Newtek describes.