More UI colours

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
VJH0
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

More UI colours

Post by VJH0 »

Hello!

Will it be possible to add more colours to the UI?

It would be really great to see a much larger choice of custom colours added to the UI! This way it would be much easier to identify which Layers, Decks and Effects, are linked to what.

I am finding that as I add more and more layer effects to my composition, its very diffucult to tell which ones are colour effects, and which ones are Transform effects or Transition effects.

it would be great to be able to colour cordinate these so I can immediately tell which effects are for the Transition Phase, which ones are activated by Blinds, and which ones are Transforms and so on.

I think this is something resolume could massively benefit from! Especially as time goes on and more features get added to the software, it becomes increasingly diffucult to monitor them all as seperate entities from each other. Especailly in a live performance scenario where a user may not have the time to read the effect names, but instead a vibrant red, in contrast to a bright yellow would catch the eye much more naturally and easier, creating a much smoother both live and editing experience in every way!

Big thanks!!

J

VJH0

Re: More UI colours

Post by VJH0 »

+1 --

Would still be super cool to see this implemented! I'm working with about 40 effects added to each layer and the organasiation of these effects is a nightmare! I can never tell which ones are transitions, and which ones are blinds and so on. In an intense enviorment it makes having that amnount of effects quite unfeasable as they are simply too diffucult to use!

Would be cool to know where Resolume stands on this issue!

Big thanks

J

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Has been requested. Not going to happen ;)

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

Oh seems a shame!

Obviously I don't know the ins and outs of software design but it seems like a potenitally easy thing to add!

I think fundementally everything exists on the Resolume U.I; so it seems a shame to have lots of these amazing features, hindered by a lack of U.I flexibiliy. Overall the Resolume U.I is top class! But as an avid Resolume user I think this is the most important big thing to do next! I think it would really pave the way for keeping track of complex setups; or even help structure more simple setups whilst simoustanly making the U.I more accessible for beginners!

For example imagine using an AKAI MKII with only 1 colour! It would be a nightmare!!!

I feel strongly that this is something which should at least be considered for the near future :)

Big thx

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

It's a design choice. It would be like you walking up to skrillex during EDC and telling him to change his sound, or telling ferrari to change their color of red to marron. It's an artistic choice. I asked several years ago as well ;)

VJH0

Post by VJH0 »

Well I strongly disagree with that haha! I don't think those comparisions are relevant at all; as it's not an issue of design choice, as much of a lack of flexibilty. If the design choice hinders functionality, then an upgrade is due?

From a 'design perspective', it makes sense to add both functionally and aesthetically!

As more and more features get added to the software, the design needs to change with the features or the design gets left behind, hindering the features.

I don't think this is happening necessarily because of a design choice, but more so that it's not yet been deemed neccessary, to implement this idea! Hopefully over the last few posts I've laid out a compelling enough arguement haha!

I mainly just wanna hear where the devs stand on this issue and if it is something that we can hope to expect to see anytime soon :D

If not, I will need to have a rethink about how else I should be structuring my composition and effects layouts!

Big Thx All!

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Search the forums for the devs reply. Their software, their choice. You could always build your own software with your UI color scheme 😉 lol

Not being a dick as this is a +1 for me (again, I requested this years ago) just letting you know it probably won't ever happen

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Something like this mockup for effect colors?
Arena_Colored_Effects.png

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

That's cool!

Full Spectrum

Post by Full Spectrum »

I'll put my two cents in.

It's a disability issue.

My go to programmer/assistant is colorblind (deuteranopia), and the color labels are entirely useless for him. It's one less tool that we can use to create together. I respect that Resolume has a distinct color palette and brand identity, but functionality has to come first in any professional piece of software. It's not consumer software. It's an "artistic choice?" Nah. The users are the artists; be careful not to treat us like the audience.