"Blind" mode or Freeze Frame

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

"Blind" mode or Freeze Frame

Post by Full Spectrum »

Hi all,

This is probably a request with little applicability for most users, but it might be easy to program, so I'm suggesting it anyway. Is there a way to have a "blind" or freeze frame button? Here's the use case:

The Lighting Designer and Director are working a scene. I want to program ahead. They need to keep the video at the current clip to match intensity, focus area, color, etc. I want a button that will HOLD the current image/video on the ACTUAL outputs and allow me to continue working and seeing the composition on the output monitor.

Thanks,
David

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: "Blind" mode or Freeze Frame

Post by Zoltán »

Put the Feedback effect into a new empty column, set it's layer fader to 100%, and trigger that when you want to freeze the frame.

Also pretty easy to make as Wire effect ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

We also have the 'Freeze' effect, the 'Frozen Solid' parameter can be toggled to Freeze the image.

Full Spectrum
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Full Spectrum »

Hi Zoltan and Edwin,

Thank you for the suggestions, but I need to "blind" everyone else, but not myself. Both suggestions do in fact freeze the output to the projectors, but it ALSO freezes my Output Monitor.

My request is that there be a way for me to freeze what the audience sees while I am able to keep working, triggering columns and viewing the resulting output.

Another way to put it is this: some (not all) projectors have a "freeze frame" function. Instead of activating this on each of the twelve projectors so that I can keep working, it would be great for under the Output menu for there to be a freeze function. Again, only in Advanced Output and NOT the Output Monitor.

And of course, it would be a bonus if this freeze frame wasn't actually a "freeze", but rather keeping the active clips active, in the same way that switching to a new deck keeps the old clips rolling.

Thanks again!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Freeze effect on the top layer, opacity turned down, routed to a slice, slice input opacity checkbox disabled, should work. https://resolume.com/support/en/slice-routing
You'd also need a simple video router to switch back and forth.
Attachments
Képernyőfotó 2021-12-02 - 10.52.44.png
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

DavidLopez
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by DavidLopez »

I can see what OP is asking. It would be useful for my work flow too.
Some times I have the audience in my venue coming in and we still need to work in the composition and see layer mixes in the output, because preview just show you one layer at a time, but leave a still image or video for the audience to look in the screen while we work before the show starts.
It would be cool to have a separate space or freeze function to leave something in the screen and don't worry if you press the wrong button while you finish your composition.

What Zoltán is suggesting would take one layer of your composition and you would not be able to test that one. Or you would need to add another one on top just for that. We try to keep our composition tight because several people use the same one to run the show.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You can also put the freeze effect to your Composition,
Move all layers into a single group, freeze the composition output and preview the group.

DavidLopez
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by DavidLopez »

Nice! That works great to freeze images. Thanks Zoltán!