Choosing effect by midi controller

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Kirk
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Choosing effect by midi controller

Post by Kirk »

hi friends,
is there any possibility 2 choose effects by a midi controller?
thx

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

i beleive it is possible i am also trying to figure this out and midi in general. what controller are you using or keyboard out of interest? :)

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

hi b.p.
it`s an edirol PCR-M50. but i didn't find anything to choose in midi section that sounds like "choosing next effect" or something like that.

[Edited on 12-2-2007 by Kirk]

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

double click on the effect in the effects list. This will bring up the options to map it to either a keyboard or midi command. These are not setup in the midi setup menu because everyone has different sets of effects...

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

oh sorry, i didn't mean to map one effect to a keyboard or controller but map a controller to switch through all effects (just like "select next deck")

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

thanks nexusintent you've sloved the problem that i had. Also you figured it out yet Kirk? i hate midi but love the potential. nice midi controller aswell. im rocking the oxygen 8.

kosho
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by kosho »

I'm using a Yamaha RM1X sequencer remixer that let's you load tracks that each contain one or more midi notes. There are 16 tracks in a "section" and during playback more or more of the tracks can be unmuted (or played). This is perfect for loading a sequence of channels and triggering specific global effects from preprogrammed sections.

The problem with this setup is that in Resolume when a global effect is triggered by a midi note, if the same note is sent a 2nd time, the effect is cleared. Since all tracks in the RM1x LOOP during playback (very common in sequencers and in many cases you want to cycle the same channels or effect sequence), if you are simply loading a single effect into a slot, the next loop turns off the effect - not so good.

I'm wondering (hoping) if someone knows a workaround for this where I can trigger an effect and keep sending the same midi note without turning off the effect. Perhaps there is something in the midi spec I am missing. I am using various channels to expand the number of effects I can trigger. I also tried the midi note toggle (148) but it sends a 00 the second time, then the note, then 00 etc., not so useful.

Or perhaps the next version of Resolume should allow the effect to be triggered more than 1x and clear only if an explicit clear effect is sent.

Thanks for reading this and responding with any insights! Kosho

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

what I like to do, is to jump through all effects (in effect area) by turning a controller because it`s very hard to do it by mouse or give every effect a special note. so the solution NexusIntent posted, doesn't seem to fix my problem...
but thx to all here!