Extra control over masks + Mask layers

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
ovo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Extra control over masks + Mask layers

Post by ovo »

Can you add in some extra controls for masks?

It would be really useful to be able to scale and position masks in the same way you can a clip or a layer, including rotation and anchors. So when I assign an image to a clip I have more control over it's position.

Another great element in Resolume would be if you introduced a mask layer which you could set to mask either just the layer below it, or other extra layers you''ve selected.

Then I could use effects on that mask layer and basically work with it like it's a normal layer. Ideally using video, flash and images as the contents on that mask layer. (Pretty much the same way Flash uses masks really)

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: Extra control over masks + Mask layers

Post by edwin »

Yes that's a good idea, we were thinking of creating a blend mode to do just that.

luz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by luz »

is it possible to create some kind of drawing tool for masks in resolume? a bezier would be great.
and it would be nice, if you can use it in the output window, so that you can draw directly on the surfaces you are projecting on (e.g. i was thinking to project on several sheets of paper and it would be very hard to create the masks in photoshop).
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.1, 2,5GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 512MB, Edirol PCR-300, Ableton Live 8.0.5

nwonknu
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by nwonknu »

I was thinking about that recently, drawing thing would be awesome

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

I know there is a special place to put your mask files in Avenu... but you also can load masks just
like you can load movies isn't it? This was possible in resolume 2.41 also, but then you had only 2
layers left. In Avenue it is no problem because you can make extra layers! ;)

When you load a mask as an extra layer, you can use all the options en parameters to it, like you do with your movie clips, in the layer menu :) including: scaling, anchor points , etc etc...

Drawing inside Resolume (Avenue) would be AWESOME!!!
I'm trying to build a tagtool together for drawing/animating, but to do something like that inside resolume should be a great option!
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

luz

Post by luz »

luz wrote:is it possible to create some kind of drawing tool for masks in resolume? a bezier would be great.
and it would be nice, if you can use it in the output window, so that you can draw directly on the surfaces you are projecting on (e.g. i was thinking to project on several sheets of paper and it would be very hard to create the masks in photoshop).
the solution to this was too easy :lol:
it's not hard to create them in photoshop: create a file with the size of the composition, put the photoshop-window into the 2nd output window, change to fullscreen and draw (with the tool you need) on the surface you want to project on...

is there a better way? i can't imagine
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.1, 2,5GHz, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT 512MB, Edirol PCR-300, Ableton Live 8.0.5

luz

Post by luz »

here a little video to demonstrate, how to create a mask for resolume with photoshop:

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by gradek »

great video luz ! the power of masks is great. now if we only had the track matt or video mask in the next version.
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Yes, I would love to have video masks.

Have a black & white video as a mask, then have one video channel replace the white part, and another channel replace the black part.

I used to be able to do this, with another program, now deceased... (sniff...)

allume
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by allume »

luz wrote: the solution to this was too easy :lol:
it's not hard to create them in photoshop: create a file with the size of the composition, put the photoshop-window into the 2nd output window, change to fullscreen and draw (with the tool you need) on the surface you want to project on...

is there a better way? i can't imagine
well.
I've just faked a mapping experience by make the map file ussing After effects on the sedon monitor and then using as a mask in resolume.
guess what? the proportion were wronged...
how can i say, the pixel proportion of all the layer were the same (pal. 4:3) but resolume projected the mask in a little wider way. I mapped widows and had to do it again by calculating the mistake by eye.
the result was not that cool-

Improving the masking feature in resolume is a way to make it a good and inexpensive 2d mapping tool.
myspace.com/vj_allume
alluvionemediatica.it