Editing - Video sampling.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Editing - Video sampling.

Post by ni-cad »

Hi guy's :)

I think an editing feature for resolume would really help the creative processes especially those involved in video sampling, just being able to cut clips with a hot key to the timeline curser would help a great deal. I know there are arguments against this, namely that creating loops and prepping clips is a task best done in a different app such as After effects, or that many loops are already sold pre edited/trimmed to length but. .

I'll explain my work flow, how I would see this feature helping.

I want to use footage from a film (video sampling) I ripp the footage in sizable chunks and compress/convert etc, it's from this point on that I want to get the footage in to the app that I'll be using to create the composition, this is where the footage needs to be worked on further, especially with regards to edditing as I may not know at this stage which clips work best as "Samples" which sections have sound effects that work with the comp, or how well sections of the footage will work visually with the effects in Avenue or work with the rest of the comp. In short, footage needs to be experimented with, but working with long clips in Aveneue is difficult, the longer the footage the less stable Avenue becomes the controls become less precise also, scrubing becomes less acurate and it's more difficult to pinpoint individual frames as start and end point for your clips.

A simple slicing function would allow people to import long sections of footage (say a chapter of a movie) then find the area they want to work with (Whilst still working in the comp) they would then be able to trim longer length sections of footage to much more managable lengths (a few seconds or so) this would really speed up workflow, it seems to me utterly rediculas that edditing should be being done in a seperate app to the app being used to create the composition in.

I know you guy's may think this is just me splitting hairs but the workflow just seems wrong here.
Can anything be done about this? are there any plans?

Regards ni-cad.

bart
Team Resolume

Re: Editing - Video sampling.

Post by bart »

We definitely have plans to make Avenue more production friendly. But this is long term, we first have some other priorities like Flash playback and first and formost stability. This will come in version 3.0.2.

ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Editing - Video sampling.

Post by ni-cad »

Hey Bart, thanks for replying, just out of interest how far away are you guys from fitting Avenue with editing and sequencing functions? just wondering as with the audio functions Avenue already has being pretty complex already, I would have thought a step sequencer (something like FL Studio's) would be simple to programme? no?

Then we can all ditch our DAW's and free up all that ram and processing for use in Avenue :)