Tap Tempo

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
John McGeoch
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Tap Tempo

Post by John McGeoch »

Is there any way a Tap Tempo could be incorporated to set a BPM rather than using audio in or numerical? John McGeoch

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Tap Tempo

Post by Joris »

Hi john

I'm not sure if I understand the question. As far as I know, there is no good way to get a proper BPM from an audio signal, and the preferred way would be to use the (already implemented) tap button to tap along to the music. But maybe I'm totally missing the point?

Joris

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

as far as i know there are some Midi-Hardware boxes which generate a midi-clock from audio signal...
there should also be a software solution... i just remember a bpm plugin for winamp.
a software/patch/tool which can send midi and generate a midi-clock from audio should do the thing.
otherwise, i don't understand the question :?
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

John McGeoch wrote:Is there any way a Tap Tempo could be incorporated to set a BPM rather than using audio in or numerical? John McGeoch
This has already been implemented, the tap tempo is mapped to the Tab key by default, I believe.

John McGeoch

Post by John McGeoch »

Cheers Joris - perhaps you could explain how to find and operate the Tap button - I`ve just tried to find it but no luck. John

VJair

Post by VJair »

John McGeoch wrote:Cheers Joris - perhaps you could explain how to find and operate the Tap button - I`ve just tried to find it but no luck. John

is this a wind up? if im understanding the question correctly the answer is....

a) the tap button is the one that says TAP.
b) you operate it by errr.... tapping it

( hopfully ive somehow missed the point of this question )

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

John McGeoch wrote:Cheers Joris - perhaps you could explain how to find and operate the Tap button - I`ve just tried to find it but no luck. John
It's over to the right of the BPM indicator, which is in on the left side of the Resolume Avenue screen, about halfway down. It says "Tap" and is right next to a couple of other buttons that say "Resync" and "Pause".

If you want, you can open the Mapping menu (at the top, second from the right), choose Application Key Map. Everything will turn blue. Click on the TAP button (the one described above), and then press the Tab key on your keyboard (usually on the top left).

Then go back up to the Mapping menu, and choose Stop Mapping, the last option.

Now you can tap the Tab key on every beat, and this will let you define the BPM.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

And although slightly off topic, regarding the questions about the possibility of realtime BPM detection from an audio stream: this is a very common and often heard request, but very hard to get right.

The human brain is one of the best pattern detectors there is, and we can very easily make out complicated musical patterns and rhythms. For a machine this is a lot harder to do. Although there are various hardware and software solutions out there (the folks behind PD and Max came really close, see for instance this article: crca.ucsd.edu/~tapel/icmc98.pdf), in general this will only yield usable results for very simple 4 to the floor type beats. For anything more complex or layered, the machine will get confused by all the transients, and throw off any useful BPM readings.

The computer in your head still has the best software for this, so why not use it?

Joris

John McGeoch

Post by John McGeoch »

Thanks - not a wind up, just missed it in the impatience of looking and then unsuccessfully trolling the help and really anyway wanting to be doing something creative - have now put it on the tab and thats great. John McGeoch