resolume as a controller?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
jonek3d
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

resolume as a controller?

Post by jonek3d »

Is it possible to use / configure one Resolume Avenue as a master to control a few other instances of resolume on other computers with same or different content loaded ??
Is there an option to force other instances to work like a mirrors ?
I mean - If I press a key on "master" resolume, all other instances will receive and execute exactly the same code (no matter what footage will be assigned to it).

I am aware that midi controller could be used, but in this mode each computer should be manually configured for MIDI codes, then a kind of MIDI code splitter is needed etc. it is too much work to configure / reconfigure MIDI.

let's imagine that there are 4 pc, but only one person :)
and panoramic visualisation to display on 4 beamers,
each computer will store its own part of panoramic animation,
for instance screen will be 3200x600, splited to 4 smaler 800x600 zones each part will be stored on different computer and finally it should be played exactly at same time?

Is it possible ? without buying mega, super hyper powerfull computer which will handle this hudge animation?
what if there will be 5-6-7 and more computers/screens, too much for matrox triple head :)

I need that abstract for my thesis about vj-technologies and solutions :)

Regards,
Jonek

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: resolume as a controller?

Post by sleepytom »

No its not currently possible as resolume doesn't send any midi or osc information.

I'd very much like to see a move in this direction, with information being sent out from resolume so that flying faders and light up controllers could be properly used to control resolume. Network based control of multiple remote resolumes from a single interface is also a great idea. This is how the Hippotizer works with its Hipponet concept whereby any hippo system can be a master or slave, so you cab sit at front of house with a laptop controlling a rack full of hippo hd machines which are behind the stage. Its an excellent system and one which i'm supprised hasn't been copied in VJ software apps.

jonek3d
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by jonek3d »

but the price of 1 hippo is ... good reason to buy a few standard pc/mac + software with this function, but there is no such as function (old version of OpenTZT used it, I think, but only for 2 instances )

btw, I found this software? controller? manager? called watchout
http://www.deneyimteknik.com/watchout.htm

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Yeah, the lack of MIDI or OSC output from Resolume is a bit limiting.

I've been considering building a "Resolume Remote" Max patch to control Resolume via OSC, by using multicast you trigger multiple instances of Resolume at once.

My multi-editor patch actually contains a substantial chunk of the necessary functionality, I guess it would be straightforward to make a clip triggering panel as well.

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

jonek3d wrote:...
I am aware that midi controller could be used, but in this mode each computer should be manually configured for MIDI codes, then a kind of MIDI code splitter is needed etc. it is too much work to configure / reconfigure MIDI..
I think this is a perfectly working possible solution, and not that complicated.

The MIDI configuration can be done and saved on 1 computer. The other computers can load that same MIDI settings. It might even be possible to store this .xml file on a networkshare so that it is availabe to all computers.
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT