MAsk render order

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
John McGeoch
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

MAsk render order

Post by John McGeoch »

Hi, just wondering if there is any progress with having a pre and post render switch for masks so that if you resize or put an effect on a clip or layer it doesn`t effect the mask. This would allow a whole new ball game for mapping projections - cheers JonnyMac

gdlt

Re: MAsk render order

Post by gdlt »

I'm Waiting for this too.
I always use masks and this is preventing me from using many effects or rescaling a clip.
In the laser software i use (Showtacle, Fiesta2) you also have this option (you need this to map mirrors and mirror balls). you can resize the show but it doesn't affect the mapping possitions.

Also it would be nice if we could set some kind of mask folder wich you can drop down in the clip properties to chose your mask from. going to the file browser every time is time consuming if you want to do fast switches between masks.

another idea would be that you could drag images from the grid to the mask option. this is not possible at the moment.

-A invert mask option or a mask intensity option from -100% (inverted) to 100%

And last: A few weeks ago i ran into a problem for wich i couldn't find a solution:

At my residency there was temporarily and unexpected a different projector placed. this one had a much larger projecting size, wich i liked. but i couldn't mask the objects with my masks anymore because by rescaling the masks the screen outside the mask don't get masked.
what id did was apply the keystone effect to the composition to scale everything down so i could use the masks again. but this way i couldn't use the whole screen anymore AND it was not possible to apply a keystone effect to a layer anymore?
Last edited by gdlt on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for all those suggestions. They are indeed very good ideas, and actually all of em are on our list. However, because this entails a massive change in the rendering pipeline, this is most likely not going to happen on this version of Resolume.

gdlt

Post by gdlt »

Thanks for the reply Goto,

In the meanwhile i edited my post :)
In understand that these functions are very difficult to add, but they are very essential functions if you are working allot with mapping and masking. This way the biggest part still needs to be done pre-process.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

When the projector setup changes like that, it is very unlikely that you'd be able to use masks made for the previous setup, regardless of whether we apply them pre or post translation. Since the projected surface is wider, the matted/umatted ratio of the mask will have to change, not taking into account the distortion from a different lens and possibly different angles. Projection mapping is just a very specific and accurate art, which if done right requires careful planning and a considerable amount of pre show work.

If there's anything you feel that could be improved in Resolume to deal with a situation like this (that is not covered in your other points), please let us know!

Joris

gdlt

Post by gdlt »

Hi Joris thanks for your reply again.

Unfortunately i've no idea how to improve it :) The only thing i thought of was a function where if you apply a mask, that everything outside the mask would be masked too. but i think this would generate some unwanted side effects in other situations (like when you are using masks both on Composition and layer level).

Switching projectors on a fixed location is not something i do every day, so it isn't a big issue. But i thought i jus ask. Maybe there was a solution of wich i was unaware.

Cannavizion
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Cannavizion »

Hello,

I'm with John and gdl... I need some layers masked, but I need that the clip size doesn´t affect the layer size....
As I can see this is no minor change for 3...
Do we have to wait to Resolume 4 to get this solved? Are you already working on it?

Thanks for your attention.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

yes, we're working on it but don't hold your breath, we have a lot of work todo ...