Please give us stable fps for recording/rendering.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Please give us stable fps for recording/rendering.

Post by Joris »

I'd really like to see an option for something similar to modul8's data only or logical record function
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7990&p=29851&hilit= ... der#p29851

;)

Joris

zeropoint
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by zeropoint »

..that is excellent news....thanks guys. :D
Macbook Pro 17" 2.93ghz, 4G Ram, OSX 10.5.7, Live 8.2.2, Avenue 3.3.1, Faderfoxes LV2,DJ2, LD2, Monome 40h.

grif
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by grif »

goto10 wrote:Hey guys

Thanks for your thoughts on this. We are aware of the demand for a stable framerate. The initial idea behind the variable framerate was to always give you the highest fps possible. After reading your comments and those of other users, we'll be adding the option for a fixed fps when recording in a future release.

Thanks again

Joris
So is the recording feature going to work in v4?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Do you mean it was not working in R3?

grif

Post by grif »

Only at 640x480, otherwise at hd resolutions it cuts out in less than a minute. Even when it does work it causes all sort of frame dropping issues. Ive tried fraps and it works alot better at HD res however it too also causes resolume to stagger, even with a couple layers and no effects.

I have a core i7 920, 128gb vertex SSD (120MB/s write speed), 10GB DDR3 ram, Geforce 9600GT (i know, not the best), and ive tried it both with DVX and mjpeg footage and it doesnt seem to make a difference. Disk bandwidth usage is only 13-20MB/s at most even when recording with fraps uncompressed format, processor usage is minimal as usual, memory doesnt change. It doesnt seem to be a system issue, maybe its some shared resource both resolume and internal/external recorders use?

Joris

Post by Joris »

The record function is not intended as a full fledged video production tool. Instead it is meant to quickly record and then play back a content that has a few effects or modulations applied, so that for instance you do not have to continuously keep moving a fader to achieve a certain look.

Afaik, there is no video production tool that does realtime recording of resolutions bigger than SD, at least not without expensive, hardware accelerated additional devices. Let alone that any of them can play and apply effects to source content at the same time.

When you place certain expectations on the record function, it can be argued to be 'broken'. However, for its intended use it stands as a good and functioning tool that gets the job done.

grif

Post by grif »

You should include that point in the next manual.

bangnoise
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by bangnoise »

An alternative on Mac is Syphon Recorder plus the Syphon Server FFGL plugin in Resolume. As long as your disk can keep up it is happy recording HD frame sizes.

http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/

rxfromparis
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by rxfromparis »

huum, i would say that a top of the line mac with a fast ssd would get the job done better with syphon , and thats why i raise the question :

Mac OS is moving audio and midi and video between applications without allmost any hit on cpu or gpu , and this is getting annoying to the other community :) is anybody looking into this in the windows world. I mean our machines sould be able to render and record stable fps.......in Pal HD ?? no??
desktop: Windows 7 64bit , i7 920 2.66Ghz, 12Gb Ram, GTX 950 2Go, WD Velociraptor 300Go, terratec asio phase 26 usb soundcard & midi,Novation Nocturn controlpad, Akai MPK mini, and soon to come : BCR 2000 :))

StoryBoy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by StoryBoy »

goto10 wrote:The record function is not intended as a full fledged video production tool. Instead it is meant to quickly record and then play back a content that has a few effects or modulations applied, so that for instance you do not have to continuously keep moving a fader to achieve a certain look.
We can still dream about it though. Resolume would (and does) work well in a production environment and the record button is definitely one of Resolume strengths. :)

So having the "record button's", output file, frame fixed without variable headaches which synch's and plays nicely with other video software would be a great, great addition. ;)