Play MP4 files

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Play MP4 files

Post by gpvillamil »

I notice that on Mac OS X Resolume will not show .mp4 files in the explorer, neither will it add them to the clip grid when dragged and dropped from the Finder.

However, when these files are renamed to a .mov extension they play fine.

Can we add .mp4 to the list of valid extensions? I know H.264 is not ideal for VJing, but there are circumstances when I might want to drop in a file received from another source.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Play MP4 files

Post by Joris »

However, when these files are renamed to a .mov extension they play fine.
Ssssh. Don't tell anybody about that ;)

The idea behind not supporting .mp4 is because we really REALLY think it's a bad idea to VJ with it, and it could make Resolume perform unstable. By not loading obviously poor VJ codec choices like .mp4 we send out that message. That aside, if Quicktime can open it, Resolume should be able to as well. You may need to resort to some trickery like this, but it will work.

Hope that explains our standpoint a bit.

Joris

ArcRunner
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ArcRunner »

Hi Joris,

I'm really happy that Resolume makes efforts to educate it's user base, and pro-actively preventing us from making poor choices in media. However, sometimes a poor choice is much better than no choice, and letting us off with a warning would be great.

Especially if just renaming the file bypasses the security measure to begin with.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that, I'd be great to have a way to dis-engage that safety measure, when it is an informed decision (possibly in the preferences pane).

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

why don't you just rename the files? or better still reencode them to something less shitty and more suited to VJing?

Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Dragonsoulj »

sleepytom wrote:why don't you just rename the files? or better still reencode them to something less shitty and more suited to VJing?
Sometimes there isn't enough time to reencode files. Like when they are handed to you less than an hour before a set.

madido

Post by madido »

we really REALLY think it's a bad idea to VJ with it
I agree with you but Arena is not only a VJ tool....
I'm not a VJ but I use Arena all the time as Media Server for concerts (bye bye Pandora.. :-) ).
I transcode all my material in DXV3 since is very high quality and GPU accelerated, but sometimes I need to play a "last second" clip quickly without time to transcode.

Stefano

warpnote

Post by warpnote »

Dragonsoulj wrote:
sleepytom wrote:why don't you just rename the files? or better still reencode them to something less shitty and more suited to VJing?
Sometimes there isn't enough time to reencode files. Like when they are handed to you less than an hour before a set.
Although, I'd run DXV myself, here is a trick to rename loads of files in a batch. (used a lot in 3d animation/composition, where image sequences are common) Check out name mangler -> https://manytricks.com/namemangler/

I'm in no way connected to the developer...