We need transitions.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
grif
Is taking Resolume on a second date

We need transitions.

Post by grif »

I'm a bit new to this program but ive worked in video composting and editing for years and am a bit miffed at why there isnt any way to transition from one clip to another along a layer. The only way i see of currently doing this, short of a direct cut which is problematic for flowing scenes, is to fade the layer out entirely, select the new clip, and fade it back in, not exactly a smooth move.

This can be solved be having a drop down list next to the blend modes that define the type of transition for the layer (x-fade, cut, wipe, burn, 3d) along with a submenu dropdown parameter box for the particular transition, which pops up when newly selected and features either standard parameters (x-fade opacity/timing) or presets (3d peel/cube/star). Selecting a blank tile should have the effect of transitioning the entire layer out, in the same way that selecting the first tile from a layer-off state should transition the layer in. Additionally a composition transition parameter should be included to quickly define a transition type for all layers, where its default off state which resume the previous user defined state for each layer.

Tryll

Re: We need transitions.

Post by Tryll »

This stuff is built into version 4, now in beta.

grif

Post by grif »

Im not much of a beta tester, are the transitions documented somewhere?

Tryll

Post by Tryll »

grif

Post by grif »

Well its a start, but it doesnt offer any control over the duration of the transition, and is limited to blend modes. There also doesnt appear to be any sort of global override, which can prove very cumbersome to change during a live performance.

Tryll

Post by Tryll »

grif wrote:Well its a start, but it doesnt offer any control over the duration of the transition, and is limited to blend modes. There also doesnt appear to be any sort of global override, which can prove very cumbersome to change during a live performance.

Really, could swear there was a vertical slider just before the clip thumbnails start on each layer. I believe it adjusts the auto-transition time.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Just to be clear on this, there is with 100% certainty a slider that can control the duration of the transition, and there are actually several custom transitions.