List of things I dislike in 4

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
listenpreis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

List of things I dislike in 4

Post by listenpreis »

Hey!

I wanted to make a list of things I don't really like in 4:

- the hit areas of lot of potis / knobs is quite little... I am working on a macbook pro 17" with 1920x1080px resolution and it's quite hard to hit the small area to change a value or whatever

- make everything right clickable... again this almost goes to the point above: when I want to add FFT ... I want to be able to click everywhere right - the area where I have to click is way too far on the left (I think in 3 I could right click where I want...)

- still no animation (FFT e.g.) for the timeline of a clip

- I want to have as much dashboard potis as I like (why limit?)

- performance is on my macbook 2011 not that good (when working only in DXV, 8 gb ram - no ssd, will update soon)

- sometimes shift+apple+d doesn't escape from fullscreen

- fullscreen isn't fullscreen in os x - I can still see the system menu bar

- I'd like a keyboard shortcut for going fullscreen

Besides that - weee - thanks for the nice upgrade!

Just my 2 cents

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: List of things I dislike in 4

Post by Joris »

- the hit areas of lot of potis / knobs is quite little... I am working on a macbook pro 17" with 1920x1080px resolution and it's quite hard to hit the small area to change a value or whatever
The hit areas of knobs is exactly the visible area of the knob. If this is too small for you, perhaps you could work on a lower resolution?
- make everything right clickable... again this almost goes to the point above: when I want to add FFT ... I want to be able to click everywhere right - the area where I have to click is way too far on the left (I think in 3 I could right click where I want...)
Right clicking has been and always will be the shortcut for resetting the property to its initial value.
- still no animation (FFT e.g.) for the timeline of a clip
This is still on the to do list, and many work arounds have been suggested in the meantime.
- I want to have as much dashboard potis as I like (why limit?)
Resolume offers you a simple and intuitive interface. If you want unlimited control over what features go where, Resolume may not be the ideal choice for you, and you should investigate other software options.
- performance is on my macbook 2011 not that good (when working only in DXV, 8 gb ram - no ssd, will update soon)
'not that good' can mean anything from 20fps to 40fps, if we are even talking about performance in terms of fps. Please be more specific.
I've just spent 10 minutes going in and out full screen, with 100% success rate. If you have steps that allow us to recreate this, we'd love to see them.
- fullscreen isn't fullscreen in os x - I can still see the system menu bar
Resolume is designed as a performance app, where you see the full interface, and the audience only sees the output via a secondary monitor. If you have a specific reason you'd like to have fullscreen on the control monitor, please feel free to share.
- I'd like a keyboard shortcut for going fullscreen
For monitor 1 this would be CMD-SHIFT-1

Godzil
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Godzil »

listenpreis wrote:Hey!

same problem

listenpreis

Post by listenpreis »

No ... I won't lower the resolution for sure not... it's 1920x1200 and that's just about right for an application like Resolume. And still ... just optimize it so it's easily usable with touchpad and less precision - larger hitboxes don't hurt, do they? and ... most of the time the visible area of the knob is very very very tiny - think what it makes to the actual hitbox...

I know that right click was, will .. be the button to reset ... I am just saying it's hard to find those areas where you are able to click right - same problem as above - small hitboxes / area where you can click so the value / slider resets... now more clear?

Workarounds are great... but most of them didn't work for me. Can you tell me what's so difficult to implement there? I mean if even random guys can write a plugin that must be a 5 minute thing to implement such an awesome essential feature.

Not that good means I have dropouts and sometimes I am below 20 fps. I find the dropouts very annyoing...

My reason to have fullscreen for my own purpose - or 2 actually: 1st when I create a set at home I want to check my composition and I want to do it fullscreen to see whether the composition works or not - so I don't want to see the menubar. second reason: Imagine I am on a party and don't have a second screen ... but only this one I want to be able to have fullscreen entertainment, woulnd't you?

Thanks for the shortcut - why not putting all known Shortcuts to the menu like it is for "exit fullscreen mode"? would help a lot!

cheers!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

No ... I won't lower the resolution for sure not...
We have done some work on highlighting the hit areas when the mouse hovers over them, and the actual point where the mouse clicks are registered. This will be part of the next update. The fact remains that we have to expose a lot of functionality in a limited space, and we already spend a lot of time in making this as optimal as possible.
Can you tell me what's so difficult to implement there?
Clip playback is an important part of Resolume, if not the most important part. We need to be extremely sure of making any changes to it before we commit to anything, because we run the risk of breaking the main functionality.
Not that good means I have dropouts and sometimes I am below 20 fps.
This sounds like an data bottleneck. SSD is the way to go for that.
My reason to have fullscreen for my own purpose
We give priority to the features that enable video professionals to do their job. Personal entertainment is not high on the list. Having said that, there is actually a ticket for a kiosk feature, that would allow Resolume to be used in installations with a single screen.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

Can i ask what resolution your clips are and also how many layers you are using?

offthesky

Post by offthesky »

a kiosk mode checkbox somewhere in the app would be great - i have to do a 3 screen installation projection with a mac tower that only has 3 video outs... obviously in this case having the osx menu at the top of one of the screens looks super un-pro... i guess there's always the olde tape over the projector lens method?

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

offthesky wrote:a kiosk mode checkbox somewhere in the app would be great - i have to do a 3 screen installation projection with a mac tower that only has 3 video outs... obviously in this case having the osx menu at the top of one of the screens looks super un-pro... i guess there's always the olde tape over the projector lens method?
matrox dual / tripple head to go ?

offthesky

Post by offthesky »

the installation is in a snobby venue with large white walls and, according to the gallery, "there's to be nothing else in the room". which is cool and all but that leaves no space for the mac tower - so having another screen attached to that for storage during the month is kind of impossible. as it is i'm having to hide tower on it's side under an inconspicuous white box with a special $100 quiet fan. and there's no room behind the walls so drilling/running video cables to a back room is impossible). plus(sadly but so typical) there's not much money in this gig so buying new gear is kind of out of the questions.

trust me i've thought of all these angles but in the end my options are either: ghetto tape on one of the projector lenses, find a different app to run the video, or hopefully there's an update to res4 that comes out in a few months with this simple fullscreen feature built in...

but thanks for your gear recommendations vjair - i've been wanting to eventually invest in a triple head 2 go... have you used one before/are they stable for 1080p vid on 3 screens?
17" macbook pro | i7 2.3ghz Quad | 8g 1333MHz DDR3 | 512 SSD | OSX 10.6.8

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

the maximum resolution (with triplehead2go digital) is 3x 1680x1050! you can only work with 2 displays in 1080p via the matrox 2go cards!
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)