midi modifiers

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

midi modifiers

Post by VJair »

ive been using traktor a lot recently and one nice feature in the midi section allows for "modifiers"

a modifier can be used to make one control output different results dependant on the state of the modifier.

for instance normaly Fader A controls Layer 1 opacity but when Button B is pressed ( turning the modifier on ) Fader A now controls Clip opacity.

using modifiers, you could essentialy program much more detailed midi mappings, but without the need to have a huge ( and expensive ) controller.... individual mapping for when you want fine control of a clips parameters, then just press a single button to switch to a mapping for general mixing of multiple layers, then press another single button to change to an effects specific mapping and so on....

traktor allows 8 modifiers, but any control can have 2 modifier conditions attached. for example Button A will only do something if BOTH modifier B and C are turned on... so with 2 modifiers, you have the potential for highly assignable midi control.

i hope that makes sense! i think something along those lines could be very useful in Avenue and realy allow people maximum flexibility from both the software and the controller they use.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: midi modifiers

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Sysex programming? Or actual modifiers in assigned in Avenue?
Internal modifiers would be MUCH easier than sysex and would be universal as opposed to rewriting control changes based on brand

VJair

Post by VJair »

yeah internal to avenue. the modifiers system in traktor works with any midi controller, so im assuming its not a complicated sysex dump. its just a system of IF gates attached to each controller - so unless chosen there is no modifier.

A does B IF modifier X is turned on

using just 8 modifiers allows my novation zero sl mk2 16 knobs / 8 faders / 24 buttons to actualy function as though it has 128 knobs / 64 faders / 192 buttons... with the ability to use two modifiers ata time, the options become exponentialy larger

you can see in this screen shot that next to each assigned midi control, you get 2 assignable modifiers per assigned control.

the first dropdown choose which modifier and the second chooses a value.

so you can make statments like "if modifier 3 = 0"
using both you can make more exclusive statments "if modifier 3 = 0 and modifier 6 = 1"
Attachments
modifiers.jpg
modifiers.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 11976 times

mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mowgli »

This would definitely be a very useful feature which instantly makes any controller way more powerful.

Shorties
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Shorties »

I agree this would be an extremely useful feature to have natively in Resolume.

homing
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by homing »

+1 !

Basic

Post by Basic »

+1 this...
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

leolodreamland
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by leolodreamland »

yes traktor is streets ahead on this, check out what ean golden has been doing with his very simple device - the midi fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrNqFXnI_Pg
it would be ace to be able to do fx combos like this in avenue...