Ability to change X,Y origin of slices in advanced output.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Ability to change X,Y origin of slices in advanced output.

Post by 4eyes »

Hey all,

Searched around for a discussion about this and didn't see anything. If there is please link me to it.

Absolutely love Arena, but there is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts. When creating and shifting input slices in advanced output, the origin x,y of each box is at the upper left hand corner of the slice. BUT when using output transformation, the origin is now at the CENTER of the slice.

I work constantly with LED, and every pixel map I have ever used has the origins of each tile located at their UPPER LEFT corner.

Example:
I have one giant slice that is the whole image at 1920x1080. In Input selection the X,Y position are 0,0 respectively. But when I click over to Output transformation and hit transform, the X,Y position is now listed as 960,540. Come on now, I'm terrible at math! You can't honestly expect me to make these calculations on my own? :P

PLEASE make it so we can at least toggle whether the origin is at the center, or upper left, or lower right, etc.

Follow?

Thank you for the killer software!

bildwerk

Re: Ability to change X,Y origin of slices in advanced outpu

Post by bildwerk »

and in the normal gui is also another pixelspace ;)
would be great to have the same pixelspace at least in the gui and the advanced output input slices.

best

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

Heck why not all three! Comp, Input Slices, and Output transformations.

Satisfy everyone by keeping the default as they are now, but allow "power users" to select which corner (or center) they prefer.

Please please please please pleeease :)

Now that the APC40 lag has been fixed this is the only major complaint I have left to make!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We agree that this is confusing. We're not going to adjust behaviour though, I'm afraid. It is simply too risky to do this halfway through development. We'd rather give you a stable advanced output with some minor inconveniences than one with a good coordinate system with crashes.

We are going to give the advanced output a major overhaul for version 5, and this is one the things that will certainly be addressed.

In the meantime, we did add a math option to help you with issues like these (960 = 1920/2):

4eyes

Post by 4eyes »

Math it is then! Arg!

Thanks for the response goto10, looking forward to it.

And thanks for the tip, didn't know about that. Now I can do my math homework in Resolume! yay.

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

goto10 wrote:In the meantime, we did add a math option to help you with issues like these (960 = 1920/2)
The math option Is not a perfect solution, for instance the example of the video: 640/3= 213,33333, not 213...
May be It will be better to type 640/3 and get directly 3 slides of 213,3 x 480.....

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

As soon as your projector can place fractional pixels in between its pixels, we'll add floating point precision to the math. Deal?

vj granda

Post by vj granda »

Yes I know that, but the higher is the number you divide more pixels you are loosing if It Isn't exact... I can change my example if You take 1920 x 1080 for instance: 1920/23 = 83,478, if You take 83 at the end You are loosing 11 pixels.
What I mean is that may be the program can do a better "fake" approach than I.

For instance in Mapio You can select a number of slices You want to divide your input.
And yes I know you have done another aproche to mapping, and It's OK for me, but sometimes, when You need to do a lot of slices would be more practical...

Cheers :D