New M1 mac

Bro, does your rig even lift?
resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: New M1 mac

Post by resolumejunkie »

With compassion, I will say that busy touring musicians may not have the time or mental bandwidth to stay on top of the latest developments with the minutia of software development for Apple Silicon. The DJs experience was real to them. No one doubts that. I will say that the certain performance differences between the 8GB and 16GB have even surprised me. And, of course, there’s probably a severe latency penalty for audio when going through something like Rosetta 2, however that works.

But, looking at the architecture, in particular the unified memory and very high single thread performance, it’s just common sense to see that these facts could contribute to probably the lowest possible latency in audio applications, especially once Rosetta 2 is out of the picture, but maybe even while still using Rosetta 2? Hmm.

I look forward to hearing more about people’s experiences with Ableton, because I, too, am curious if the architecture contributes to reduced latency, as expected. And, if not, why?

I’d also add that having a computer with no fan noise (with audio) is a nice plus!

See here:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/behin ... benchmark/

Eledtech
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Eledtech »

by the way… m1max can play 30 x dxv3 3840x2160 layers and is still around 80-90 fps. it is stable at least for one hour in normal room conditions.

the new „arm“ beta doesnt bring improvements in playback performance.
some plugins seems to perform better. i expected alot more, but after i reading the statement about metal / opengl / vulkan api from menno i totaly see the problem of developing a cross platform software like resolume.

yeah i wished to see performance boosts like in final cut or motion5…

but it is crying on high level, the m1max macbook is a monster. it will be very good in many situations, but its impossible to compare it with 15k media server.

i am very curios about the mac studio, we ordered one and hope for many indoor conference events this will be a good one. 4 x 4k outputs (with framelock on analoge way enabled the outputs are mostly in perfect sync) enough power in resolume will give the possibility to play on 8k ledwalls.

and for this, i wanna just thank u to resolume team, that this is possible for a super fair price!
Visual and led designer at eledtech and aseven night club/Berlin.

skeletosis2112
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by skeletosis2112 »

resolumejunkie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 18:53 And, of course, there’s probably a severe latency penalty for audio when going through something like Rosetta 2, however that works.
I thought the same but after working with these machines for a while now there's no real latency penalty with audio. I've been running reaper both under Rosetta and natively with the same plugins. while native does have a performance bump it's nothing super noticeable and even under rosetta the machines blow doors off my 2019 and 2015 macbook pros. these are very large projects with many live inputs running through plugins so the machines are definitely being pushed hard. they're truly remarkable.