Search OVER - Laptop with 3 full-sized display outputs (2019-2021)

Bro, does your rig even lift?
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Search OVER - Laptop with 3 full-sized display outputs (2019-2021)

Post by cosmowe »

Hey forum, what's up...
normally, finding rare stuff on the internet is kind of like a hobby for me... but this time, hopeless so far, so maybe you guys can show me the right product.

My showdriver for years was/is a XMG Schenker U506 with a GTX970.
Whats special about this notebook is that it has 3 full-sized video outputs (1x HDMI 2x Displayport). I would not say that I hate floppy adapters....but I surely don't like them very much :roll: ....

So, I am searching a laptop model from the years 2019 to 2021 with 3 full-size video outputs..... anyone?

Thanks...and best wishes
cosmowe
Last edited by cosmowe on Sat Jan 22, 2022 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Search - Laptop with 3 full-sized display outputs (2019-2021)

Post by Arvol »

Not going to happen. At best, you'll find 1 HDMI and 2 Mini DP. Everyone wants smaller form factors so manufactures aren't making beefy machines as they use to. Eurocom get my vote for something along the lines of 3 outputs and a beefy housing.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Unlikely to find such a thing, as Arvol says.

I have an MSI GS65, which has HDMI, Mini Displayport, and USB-C

I can connect one HDMI monitor directly, and another two via a USB-C to HDMI MST hub. So three full-size HDMI ports, at the cost of a relatively small and compact dongle.

This one: https://www.unitek-products.com/product ... 4k-adapter

I also connected a Matrox TripleHead2Go (DP edition) via the Mini DP port, and that was a little hairy.

The USB-C to HDMI MST was far easier and more stable.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

thanks for your answers... I know about the trend and also about clever dongle or matrix display solutions....... It was just a try to find someone who knows something about something :)

But you have to agree.... THIS is awesome! ;)
Unbenannt.PNG

My workaround will be... a laptop with 1x HDMI 2xMini DP.... and I will bring my own two long miniDP to, for example, HDMI cables to a job. :roll:

best wishes
cosmowe

triphase
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by triphase »

I feel like in 2021 especially with a laptop, its about making the least number of connections necessary to get a show up and running.

My primary rig is a threadripper powered desktop, but my backup rig is a HP Zbook 17G6 (a real workstation, no flashy RGB LED lighting strips lol). I use the thunderbolt docks which provide 2 full size display port and thunderbolt pass through as well.

So its really a single small wire (or two) to get the laptop interfaced to the video system (which has other stuff going on like HDMI/Displayport to SDI or HDBaseT conversion) which carries power to the laptop (230W) and all the bandwidth for video signals. Video card is Quadro RTX5000 mobile which has proven very effective in resolume for me.

As much as I use HP's hardware, Eurocom does look like they make a really serious laptop (I really like their GPU's where they don't restrict the TDP like HP does), and we were seriously considering trying theirs at some point.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Hey there, just wanna complete this thread by telling that I finally gave up my search to find this one exotic notebook with 3 full-size video outputs of any kind.

Just found a hell of a deal on eBay-kleinanzeigen which is kind of like craigslist here.

Found an Alienware 15 R3 from 2018 (i7 6700HQ, GTX 1070 6GB, 32GB RAM, 2x 500GB m.2 nvme's) in very good and clean condition. It was sold to me for 620,00€

And the most important thing for me...3 display outputs.

////
EDIT:
I've tested it with the 4K noise Content from Resolume. And it performed even better than I thought.
LINK TO BENCHMARK

Result (Resolume 7.8.0)
17x 4K Noise Content WITH 3 Outputs attached and running till it drops down to 30fps
10x 4K Noise Content WITH 3 Outputs attached and running till it leaves the 60fps
////

I remember a time here in the forum where everything was about how to maximize the performance on notebooks to get Resolume running smooth with some performance reserves on top.
Kind users even started charts for us fps counters so we where able to compare our machines.

From my point of view, who sticked with his now almost 6 years old Schenker XMG U506 notebook would say, that the fps counter days are over for most of us.

Keep in mind, I only talk about laptops here. If anybody needs more than 3 outputs with more than 2 capture options you should probably not use a notebook anyway :)

What I am trying to say - Today we are at a point where "old" laptops with dedicated graphic cards can still perform very well and can easily playback 20+ HD DVX layers without starting to burn.

So a big THANK YOU for the optimizing work of the Resolume guys. :P

Over and out
cosmowe