Is this a good labtop ??

Bro, does your rig even lift?
vivideo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Is this a good labtop ??

Post by vivideo »

Hi everyone. :)

I wanted to know if this laptop was good for making live with resolume arena. I must equip myself for a piece of theater. Is this powerful enough? It is stable enough? Could you give me a few tips? The graphics card is powerful enough? :?:

Motherborard : MSI Z77A-G45
CPU : Intel Core i7-3770K (3.5 GHz)
RAM : Kingston HyperX blu 16 Go (2 x 8 Go) DDR3 1600 MHz CL10
GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 GV-N650OC-2GI
SSD : Samsung SSD 840 PRO 256 Go
OS : Microsoft Windows 7 Édition Familiale Premium SP1 OEM 64 bits

thank you in advance :)

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Is this a good labtop ??

Post by philmcrackin »

Dedicated GPU is better than a laptop that switches between the two e.g. Intel HD integrated graphics. If you plan on capturing footage with your laptop, doing video editing and you're ordering the laptop with the SSD as an upgrade from the manufacturer, I would recommend ordering the computer with a regular hard-drive and switch it out the with a 512 GB SSD hard drive, that would save you money.

A MacBook would have the advantage of letting you use Quartz Composer patches, easy interfacing Resolume with an iPad through TouchOSC (I couldn't get my iPad to work with Resolume on a PC, TouchOSC bridge would always crash on me, maybe I was doing it wrong).
Last edited by philmcrackin on Sun Jul 14, 2013 06:44, edited 1 time in total.

vivideo

Post by vivideo »

Hi philmcrakin. :)

I made a mistake in the translation (I'm French). This is not a setup for a laptop but a desktop pc.

Yes, the i7 3770k has integrated graphics:

Frequency: 3.5 GHz / 3.9 GHz (Turbo)
4 cores / 8 threads
8 MB cache
Intel Socket LGA 1155 *
DDR3 memory controller
PCI-Express 3.0 x16
Integrated graphics core supports DirectX 11
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (650/1150 MHz)
Maximum thermal envelope (TDP): 77W

I have not well understood the problems of integrated graphics. I know that the work done DXV graphics card. How should you configure the graphics card to work with it Resolume? Today all CPUs have an integrated graphics right? :?: :?: :?:

I have a laptop for editing and composing. I work mostly with adobe. (for now)
Mac is good but too expensive and I know better pc.
The desktop pc that I want to do is only to make live. It will be a dedicated machine.

vivideo

Post by vivideo »

The developers say:

In a laptop you should look for a dedicated GPU that does not share the RAM. It can be problematic to run Resolume on the integrated Intel graphics processors you find in many (cheap) laptops. If you're thinking of going for one of these, be sure to try before you buy.

So if I understand correctly, is the care that the graphics card does not share the ram processor. It must have its own integrated memory. So if I use a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 GV-N650OC-2GI 2048MB Dual DVI / HDMI - PCI Express (NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA GTX 650) It will have to go because it has 2048MB of memory ... If I'm not mistaken ... ?? :?:

Video memory size:
2048 MB
memory interface
128 bit (s)
Video memory frequency
1250 MHz
Memory Type
GDDR5
Shared memory technology
no

tecuni

Post by tecuni »

i think the first thing to change is your copy of windows the best is ultimate premiun, in french i think is the "version intregale" running on 64 bits, then you got some stabillity, i got resolume arena running a comp of 1280x480 whit 8 layers, on an old vaio vgn-fz21e, not the best for the job, but what i trying to say is that, on pc computers the first thing to fix is the system, :)