Question: 6 outputs to projectors + 1 monitor on Mac Pro

Bro, does your rig even lift?
kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Question: 6 outputs to projectors + 1 monitor on Mac Pro

Post by kmifflin »

If your trying to push the envelope, and your looking a 12 screen output. I would consider a pc. For personal computer use and creative development I'm all about OS X, but for Media servers pushing pixels for me PC makes way sense to me. Only reason to think MAC for large media system is you need quartz.

Certain barco projectors have the ability to due internal image routing and blending. Check the manual or google. ScenergiX. You may find that this all you need. I think every projector gets the same source image and then you assign an area of responsibility in each projector. Just like Arena Slices. Enable blending on the projectors. Then use a single output from Resolume.

mosu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mosu »

Now I found one graphic card retail store that is willing to help me to test two AMD FirePro W600 card into one PC desktop to see if it works using Arena soft edge function.

I will report the result later.

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Looking forward to hearing if it works out for you. I considered buying this card a couple if times, but I couldn't figure out if it would give me a high fps in Resolume. The firecore driver should allow you to blend inside the card. Check the spec, you'll probably need active adapters if your going DVI

mosu

Post by mosu »

kmifflin wrote:Looking forward to hearing if it works out for you. I considered buying this card a couple if times, but I couldn't figure out if it would give me a high fps in Resolume. The firecore driver should allow you to blend inside the card. Check the spec, you'll probably need active adapters if your going DVI
Update!

I just did some test in the retail store with a desktop :
i7, 16GB RAM, W7 installed in 7200rpm HDD, but is has one secondary SSD for data storage.

running Arena 4.1.3 :

1. two W600 cards each connect two displays, 3 use blending and 1 as monitor, composition set to 1920 x 1080,
  • playback 3 clips(640x480) in add blending mode:30~40fps
2. one W600 card connect 4 displays, 3 use blending and 1 as monitor, composition set to 1920 x 1080,
  • playback 3 clips(640x480) in add blending mode:40~50fps
    playback 2 clips(1920x1080) in add blending mode: 15fps
    playback 1 clip(1920x480): 25~30fps
3 one W9000 card connect 4 displays, 3 use blending and 1 as monitor, composition set to 1920 x 1080,
  • playback 3 clips(640x480) in add blending mode:40~50fps
    playback 2 clips(1920x1080) in add blending mode: 15fps
    playback 1 clip(1920x480): 25~30fps
My SSD i7 MBP is running better than these results...
And it's very weird that W9000 is cost almost 10,000 USD the one of the highest level graphic card in the world by far...

and finally we were been told that the Windows7 was NOT installed in SSD but a 7200rpm HDD after these test ( I know it was so stupid :shock: )
so all the latency maybe caused by hard disk speed....

I use Arena build in sample clip(640x480) and 1080p clip purchased from Resolume in the test.

I will put another test the other day using SSD system.... :evil:

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

Did you have OpenGL triple buffering enabled?

mosu

Post by mosu »

kmifflin wrote:Did you have OpenGL triple buffering enabled?
oh? I didn't notice that ! where to enable it ?

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

These are the setting I use for the gaming amd cards
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10250

On the gaming cards its under the 3d gaming profile section.

If the vertical sync is enabled then you fps will max out a whatever you monitor htz refresh is set to. Typically 50 or 60. Its important to have this enabled as it solves tear issues caused by the graphics card sending higher frames then you monitor can refresh.

Adding triple buffering will add a frame of delay but will allow to to dramatically increase the over all performance up to your hertz setting. Disabling will show you how fast the card is, but you will have terrible artifacts.

I'm not sure were to find this on the pro cards. On the gaming cards triple buffering is disabled, and Vertical Sync is enable.

luwky vj
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by luwky vj »

hello, Mosu
Yes Resolume runs great on a pc, i use Asus rampage mother board with MSI R7970 Lightning in 2slot. and Radeon HD 7970 2 slot. 14 output projector with edge blending, and 1 primary monitor. total in 15 display.
I use it for dome projection

# Independent Electronic Music Producer and Visual Artist

VJVertex

Post by VJVertex »

i´m using the system from signature, so i have at least 14 Outputs, i´m going to change the GTX580 with a HD7970 and after this step i´ll have 17 Outputs and a bit more stabilty (NV & AMD sometimes make trouble in one System)
| EVGA SR-2 | 2 x Intel Core i7 X5650 | 48 GB Corsiar DDR3 PC12800 | 2 x HD5870 Eyefinity 6 | 1 x GTX580 | 256GB Samsung 840 PRO | 160GB Intel Postville | Win 7 X64 | Resolume Arena 4 |

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

VJVertex wrote:i´m using the system from signature, so i have at least 14 Outputs, i´m going to change the GTX580 with a HD7970 and after this step i´ll have 17 Outputs and a bit more stabilty (NV & AMD sometimes make trouble in one System)
You're going to run an Nvidia and an ATI card in the same machine?