Question: 6 outputs to projectors + 1 monitor on Mac Pro

Bro, does your rig even lift?
mosu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Question: 6 outputs to projectors + 1 monitor on Mac Pro

Post by mosu »

Hi~
Does anyone ever use 6 outputs to 6 projectors in a single Mac Pro ( 2 graphic cards ) to project a big single image with Arena 4.1.3?
and how does the edge blending works ? is it stable or not ?

I need to project a big single image on the ice rink ( 50m x 30m ), but due to the height limit of the building, it needs 6 projectors to cover all the ice surface.
I also have a live input to project, so it's impossible to use Watchout or that kinds of media server.

And also due the production budge, I only need these projectors to project a single 1920x1080 image.

I dont have a Mac Pro, so I can't test it by myself,
so if it does work nicely, I will buy one for this project. ( even though the New Mac Pro is coming out :cry: )

Please share your experience if you did it or in similar situation !!!

THX A LOT!!
Last edited by mosu on Mon Apr 08, 2013 06:32, edited 2 times in total.

mosu

Re: Question: 6 outputs with 6 projectors on Mac Pro

Post by mosu »

oh~ I forgot to mention that those 6 projectors are lined up like [][][][][][] (one column)

kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by kmifflin »

The couple of times I've projected on a ice rink I've used a Spyder.

Make sure the projectors your using won't overheat if they are hung straight down.
Edge blending in Resolume is basic and limited, but I have used it many times on lower budget shows with success. I the biggest short coming is that you can set the left and right side blend independently. Not a problem if you projectors bulb life and colour match. If I can I typical use the edge blending inside the projector.

6 outputs on a mac can be tricky. You can only use a single TripleHead2Go under OSX. You can use 2 under Windows 7. If your limited by budget can you mirror the the projection. 3 Left projectors mirrored by 3 Right projectors? Take a Triplehead2Go and DA each output or loop in and out of the monitor out of the projectors. Flipping the image on the right side inside the projectors (set to rear).

I have successfully tested my 6 output HD7970 card in a Mac with 10.8.3, but I'm not sure if I would recommend for a event until apple actually release a card that supports their new 7000 driver.

The six screen edge blends that I've done with resolume have all been on a PC with 2 Tripleheads2Go.

Lastly is you live input a live camera? I've read that people are using BM cards for imag but my BM cards have an unusable delay for imag. SDI card has about a second delay and the intensity pro was shorter but still to much

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

I've done 6 outs from my PC i built about 1.5 years ago with R4, it's very possible to do what you want, but it's not beginner stuff.. you've got to know your system, and your applications to.

the resolume team was using a ATI HD5870 eyefinity 6 a while ago, and the program works well with this video card.

mosu

Post by mosu »

thanks for the fast reply !

So this can be done in PC without problem, right?

Another question is that even I use two ATI Radeon HD 5870 graphic card(3outputs each) in a Mac Pro , I still need TripleHead2Go ??

and I searched the web found this card now just came out is available on MAC Pro in 10.8.3
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/19/sap ... r-mac-pro/

mosu

Post by mosu »

kmifflin wrote:
I have successfully tested my 6 output HD7970 card in a Mac with 10.8.3, but I'm not sure if I would recommend for a event until apple actually release a card that supports their new 7000 driver.
Dear Kmifflin, is HD7970 has 6 outputs just in one card?

mosu

Post by mosu »

SORRY~!! I'm a such a stupid !!!!!!! I forgot I need another output to the main control monitor~!!!

4eyes

Re: Question: 6 outputs to projectors + 1 monitor on Mac Pro

Post by 4eyes »

Hey Mosu,

Resolume runs great on a pc. I'd recommend Nvidia GTX 600 Series cards for doing many outputs. At four outputs each two of em should do it for ya.

Cheers

mosu

Post by mosu »

Thanks for the great informations!!!

I have some update here,
today my client said that the guy in video hardware rental told him, it needs 10 Barco projectors to cover the ice surface after his calculation. and that's over their budge...

So they decided to use 10 cheaper projectors with Watchout system...
As I know its impossible to do something in realtime and tracking stuff if they use Watchout system (but I never used it before)

And I can only give up my thought...
I was planning doing some cool stuff like this video
http://youtu.be/JbRrewNVe3E
I know it's not appropriate to discuss other software or technique here...

But I do really want to know how it works, they also has multi-point tracking ...

mosu

Post by mosu »

I want give a shot! I dont want to give up so quick !

I NEED 10~12 OUTPUTS SOLUTION !!