Building a computer. what to do?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
DJ Higgumz
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Building a computer. what to do?

Post by DJ Higgumz »

What are the minimum requirements for running a 720p composition on pc? I will have a SSD hard drive, what type of processor and amount of ram? also good video cards? minimum video card memory? I will want to run 4 displays, 2 monitors (one for resolume one for dmx software) and 2 projectors. I know how build computers to an extent, but I'm not into gaming so Idk about the high performance stuff. The projectors will be set up so I have one on a backdrop behind my dj booth and the other on the front board in front of my booth.

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Building a computer. what to do?

Post by LXConcepts »

You'll be able to get pretty decent performance out of almost any modern system for 2 outputs of 720p video (I assume your control monitors don't need to be anything special) as long as you've got a decent video card and enough ram.

Since rams cheap, put as much in as your system can take.

For a 'lower end' system, I'd go a quad core i7, 16+ gb of ram and something along the lines of a gtx 680. You'd get enough performance out of the 2gb version, but for the extra $100 you might as well go with the 4gb one.

Probably looking at somewhere in the $1200-1500 range for all the required parts.
Lighting and media server design

DJ Higgumz

Post by DJ Higgumz »

what about using two of these? they are CrossfireX compatible. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150658

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

cross fire's no use for resolume.

one GPU only.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

You're running a video server, and want to cheap out on the video card?

It's only the most important part of the machine...

fruitygreen

Post by fruitygreen »

LXConcepts wrote:You're running a video server, and want to cheap out on the video card?

It's only the most important part of the machine...
Yep.

"Get the best stuff you can afford"
I usually stick to that mentality.

Consider if what your doing is worth it.

Best bang for the buck is one thing.
Getting by with bare minimum is another.

Question? How much can you afford? Whats your budget?
:mrgreen:

DJ Higgumz

Post by DJ Higgumz »

I just thought that it doesn't need to be to high end because the video I'm running won't be any larger than 720p. my thinking was that the higher end cards were for gaming, for use with fast refresh rates and large resolutions. I will adjust my price range accordingly :mrgreen:

Is this about right? are display ports any good? max resolution? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161432

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

DJ Higgumz wrote:I just thought that it doesn't need to be to high end because the video I'm running won't be any larger than 720p. my thinking was that the higher end cards were for gaming, for use with fast refresh rates and large resolutions. I will adjust my price range accordingly :mrgreen:

Is this about right? are display ports any good? max resolution? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161432
Won't be running anything better than 720p now...

And remember, the more outputs, the more drag on the gpu, so outputting a 5000 pixel image through a $30 video card will look like you're running 640x480 image and play back at frame rates equivalent to still photography.

My lowest end server is running dual 2gb video cards and barely hits 24fps with 4 720p outputs, I don't use it as anything more than a dual output system or a backup to my high end servers.

That video card looks decent for specs, but I don't know how ati cards play with resolume. I'm almost exclusively a nvidea user as I'm also rendering my own content and doing a lot of video editing, and they're the only ones with kuda for acceleration in after effects.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

get an ATI card if you like getting screwed over ever driver update.

sujan002
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by sujan002 »

It is good 4Gb ram and 512Mb video card is enough for your requirement.