playing content from ssd hard disk

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Thelooca
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

playing content from ssd hard disk

Post by Thelooca »

There has been a similar topic on this forum about a thunderbolt harddrive but that wasn't a ssd disk.

So would it be possible to play content directly from an external usb3 ssd disk and/or thunderbolt ssd disk. If so, up to what kind of resolution could you get smooth playback?

Anyone tested this yet or able to test this?

thx!

LXConcepts

Re: playing content from ssd hard disk

Post by LXConcepts »

SATA Express transfer rate: 16gb/s
USB 3 transfer rate: 3.2gb/s

based on that, I'd expect performance to be about 1/5 of an equivalent SATA drive

I'd say depending on your content and resolutions, it may be possible, but I wouldn't do it!
Lighting and media server design

lotech

Post by lotech »

From my experience theres other things at play besides drive IO when it comes to playing a clip reliably in Resolume. USB3 with an SSD will be plenty fast enough to play a clip or two. If you're getting dropped frames you can (if on a Mac) can use Activity Monitors disk activity button to see the current MB/s and if you're hitting the limits of the connection.

Thelooca

Post by Thelooca »

What would be a good way to test this? I'm trying to get my hands on a lacie thunderbolt ssd drive for a few days so i would like to be prepared. Should i use a recorded clock in several resolutions? Or is there something like a universal test-clip (like testpatterns but moving...)?
thx!