2 inputs on MacBookPro? Resolume/GoPro3/C300

Bro, does your rig even lift?
westframe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

2 inputs on MacBookPro? Resolume/GoPro3/C300

Post by westframe »

Hi.

Here is my challenge for the coming week that I set myself to do for a live jazz concert:

Check out my latency/delay tests in Resolume with Blackmagic stuff here: http://youtu.be/m0Ftxg0xz9A

Basically, these are the issues I'm struggling with:
- I want a multi-cam fullHD recording of the show PLUS do real-time video-processing with the sources for stage projection
- I need least equipment/converters as possible, priority is least delay/latency, because I'm projecting live!
- C300 give 1080 HD-SDI output, but the GoPros3 give 720P50 ... what options do I have to work with those signals in ATEM1?
- the rMBP15" has 2x Thunderbolt & 2x USB3. What options do I have to get 2 inputs? (e.g. do the Intensity-USB3 work together with MiniRecorder-Thunderbolt on one mac (in Resolume)?)

The latter challenge; I was thinking as an alternative to have the MBP15" send out a HDMI to rMBP15" (through the Intensity Shuttle with new beta drivers for mac) and work with the SD-SDI conversion from the ATEM1 as my multi-cam input, through some cheap USB-composite input device (this way I might have Resolume run faster also, in stead of having to work with 2 HD inputs... and muli-cam input might work in lower-res SD, because I will videoproject it on screen at great distance)?

Would love to get some feedback.
thnx for your attention

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: 2 inputs on MacBookPro? Resolume/GoPro3/C300

Post by 4eyes »

Sweet diagram.

A few limitations you will need to work into your design.

1. The ATEM switcher must have the same type of signal across all of its inputs. From AtemUser.com:
"The Blackmagic ATEMs do not have scalers on the inputs. This means that you must choose a single format for your mix. If you wish to include a source which is not at the same format as the ATEM is set to then you must use an external scaler to convert the source.
The BM ATEM 1M/E and 2M/E include a downconverter for the program output so it is possible to mix in HD and output your program to a standard definition output device. The ATEM TVS outputs only at its native resolution."

2. Output via Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle is not supported in Resolume last I heard.

3. As far as I know the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3 does not work on OSX (no drivers). This may have changed if Blackmagic has released newer drivers. Definitely look this up.

Notes:
Why are you using an up/down/cross converter?

You should duplicate your signal and then send it to your projector and Ninja Recorder to avoid adding latency by passing through it.

Is it possible to find a common format for all of your inputs?
There is no need to record anything at greater than 720p as that is the resolution it will be projected at. Consider setting all of your cameras to 720p 30hz and your real-time fractal laptop to the same and push all of those things through the atem.

Why are you using an ultrastudio to output on the fractal laptop?

If you can at least get the cameras to all be the same and flow through the ATEM then you should be able to use two intensity shuttle thunderbolts into your rMBP and then output it HDMI to your projector.

Good luck!

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by HerrNieDa »

as far as i know there are shuttle usb3 drivers... but no avalable macbook with the right usb3 chipset.
only possible on the last macbooks with pc express slot (and they don't have thunderbolt) or a mac pro with additional nec usb3 card.
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

westframe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by westframe »

4eyes wrote:Sweet diagram.
1. The ATEM switcher must have the same type of signal across all of its inputs. From AtemUser.com:
3. As far as I know the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3 does not work on OSX (no drivers).
Why are you using an up/down/cross converter?
You should duplicate your signal and then send it to your projector and Ninja Recorder to avoid adding latency by passing through it.
Why are you using an ultrastudio to output on the fractal laptop?
you should be able to use two intensity shuttle thunderbolts into your rMBP and then output it HDMI to your projector.
4eyes, good comments.
Yes I just figures out the ATEM's don't have down-converters. I did a delay test (see here: http://youtu.be/m0Ftxg0xz9A) and I need to work in 720, because 1080 gave me way more delay.

But I do need to record in 1080 in the Canon C300's, for final multi-cam edit of the show next to the projection live... (unfortunately the C300 outputs the rec-format to SDI, not able to set to 720 separately... Some Sony cams CAN set SDI-out to 720 seperatly form the recording format 1080!) >> this is also why I'm considering a UpDownCross converter BUT this little box has 3 frames delay AND I can't rent it anywhere in Amsterdam... sux

Intensity USB3 on OSX should work. I will test coming 2 days! Read this post: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewt ... 518#p73829 "I can confirm that the USB 3.0 Intensity Shuttle works with the Macbook Pro in Mac OS X 10.8.4. Use driver 9.7.9."

Does the Ninja-thru got delay? Might go for the SDI Samurai version; clearly states in the manual "the Samurai carries a delay-free HD-SDI loop-through".

Two intensity/UltraStudios to 2x Thunderbolt should work in Resolume in 720? Isn't going to run slow with effects? I need to test. Should be cool if that works. I might consider to run the second laptop through the TVS/ATEM, mix it with the multi-cam and then run the mixed source as a single 720 input to Resolume... Tricky business.

I'm also considering the on-board ATEM1 HD>SD down-converter, to use the SD signal to input to Resolume and have a second 720 input from the second laptop into Resolume. Might work with camera-sources on a projection screen. Also this down-conversion should give me 3 frames more delay unfortunately. I will test.