Haswell

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Tarlok
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Haswell

Post by Tarlok »

Hello folks, I was curious to know if any has experience using Haswell with resolume. I am considering upgrading and not sure if i should settle for current rMBP or wait for Haswell.

What my concern is tht since haswell has CPU and GPU integrated, A graphic glitch may also affect audio(am assuming tht) which would nt be great as i play an AV set and use Ableton for music and Resolume avenue for clips.

Suggestions please!

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Haswell

Post by philmcrackin »

Everybody I know here in Vegas that plays music and does video at the same time (That 1 Guy, Kid Meets Cougar) runs Resolume on a separate computer from their audio computer. I've never heard of anybody having problems with running Ableton & Resolume on the same laptop, other than one person I know of who was having crashes at shows but that was due to them using pirated software and not running the software on the same laptop, once they bought legit versions of the software they had no issues, that just goes to show you should purchase the software or just use the demo version for shows if you can't afford the software.

Also the new new Macbook Pros are barely repairable, you can't replace the SSD or RAM (Don't really need to replace the RAM because Resolume is a 32 bit program but if your drive goes bad you're fucked). I know some people will say "That's what Apple Care is for", I think extended warranties are for suckers and you have to factor that cost in.

Basically if you're not using Quartz Composer, I would suggest just getting a ThinkPad W530 or an Alienware Laptop, and you can stick a 256 or 512 GB SSD in there and trigger it from your Mac via midi over Ethernet in AudioMIDI Setup and using the RTPMidi driver for Windows to receive midi from the Macbook Pro. ThinkPads are water resistant, you can pour a drink directly on the keyboard and your laptop is fine, something you can't do with a MacBook Pro. Also video card drivers are better on Windows than they are on OS X. Plus you can shut the lid while the laptop is running, which is something I like to do that you can't do with Macbook Pros because they'll overheat and shut off real quick with their uni-body metal construction. Macbook Pros do have better resale value though.