Thunderbolt 2 speed

Bro, does your rig even lift?
imag8nineteen
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Thunderbolt 2 speed

Post by imag8nineteen »

Would using external thunderbolt 2 drive improve the frame rate in resolume rather then having content on local 1tb SSD? The drives are expensive but compact. Would it help to have another point to stream of data from? Right now I'm using 1tb SSD system drive with content local.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Thunderbolt 2 speed

Post by lotech »

Short answer - yes with lots of $$$

Long answer - not without spending lots of $$$. Most Thunderbolt (1 or 2) drives basically interact with what ever drive they have installed via Sata II/III which has a maximum throughput of 500MB/s, even when you get a dual drive, raided enclosure the raid chipsets don't get you 2x the speed and are more like 0.75x the speed of 2 drives added together as the chipsets are high end RAID chipsets.
The only drive that will actually get you better speeds than your internal SSD (which is PCIe and not Sata) would be the Lacie LB TB2 drive which has 2x Raided PCIe drives inside it. We have a 4 bay Pegasus R4 with 4x 3TB HDD and get around 550MB/s in RAID0. Sure with SSD's in there it'll be faster but don't expect it to be leagues ahead of either the LB TB2 or your internal drive. I think only the 6 or 8 bay model with normal drives would get close.
Personally I have a Lacie Rugged USB3/TB with an upgraded 1TB SSD in it which gets 450MB/s via TB1 which seems to be the best value for speed/size. Don't get the HDD model with the plan to upgrade though as the chipsets are different between the HDD/SSD models.