Review: Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI Capture dongle

Bro, does your rig even lift?
hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Review: Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI Capture dongle

Post by hive8 »

I will test that tomorrow thank you for the suggestion. Now need to go over and borrow my friends MAC. Waiting till June to get myself a new Macbook Pro 15".
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

hive8 wrote:I will test that tomorrow thank you for the suggestion. Now need to go over and borrow my friends MAC. Waiting till June to get myself a new Macbook Pro 15".
Just to update the topic. Got it all figured out.

For the OS X issue I had to set a entry in the registry to capture hdcp signals

Also got a new MBP 2015 AMD, and so far works well.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com

hookerbot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by hookerbot »

I used the SDI version (latest model) on a show a couple weeks ago-here is my mini review
Plug and Play, as expected
Had to use SDI resolutions (TV edid, so 1920*1080 won't work, but 1080p will, even though they are the same number of pixels. I knew this going in, but its a good reminder)
1 Computer (windows 10) would work for 5-10 minutes and then a frame would hang and the source had to be removed from resolume and re inserted. This could be windows 10, it could be something else on the machine, I'm not sure-more testing required
1 Laptop (Windows 8.1) worked great, stable all day.

Other Notes
Device gets HOT, if you are in a hot environment i'd want to make sure the device could get some sort of cooling.
Instead of using a full size BNC connector it uses a mini something, and comes with a little whip. The whip and the connectors are so weak looking I expect I'll need a backup one pretty soon.
Instead of using a standard USB 3 B connector it uses a double ended A cable. This is an annoyance since it will be that much harder for find a replacement when this cable dies.

I would be much happier if they chose to make the case twice as thick (its very petite) and gave me a full size BNC and USB 3 B connector, and used the extra volume as a heat sink. All in all though, I am happy with it, and will be using it on a Halloween show. I hope this helps someone
Cheers