Tuna Knobs

Bro, does your rig even lift?
massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Tuna Knobs

Post by massta »

I'm about to purchase a Galaxy S2 Tablet myself. Was thinking of getting the smaller 8" model. That is a high resolution you sent. I would think 1280x720 would be enough. Native is 2048 x 1536 for the 8" model.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

massta wrote:I'm about to purchase a Galaxy S2 Tablet myself. Was thinking of getting the smaller 8" model. That is a high resolution you sent. I would think 1280x720 would be enough. Native is 2048 x 1536 for the 8" model.
Just confirmed...2560x1600 is the resolution on my model. But I guess 1280x720 is good enough. Resolution is not important as the screen size is. The bigger, the better, so you can have a greater amount of buttons, controllers and still be able to push them with your finger without touching the side ones.

massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by massta »

I understand screen size matters. I'm purchasing the Samsung S2 for other reasons so I'm staring there. I also have a larger 22" touch screen monitor that I've played with so far.

Have you not noticed Tuna Knobs rotating on their own when walking around with the tablet. When this happens and you now touch the knob, the value will jump to new location, making parameter shift and ultimately visual transforms jump.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

massta wrote:....
Have you not noticed Tuna Knobs rotating on their own when walking around with the tablet. ...
Well, I do not use it while moving, I mean, I use the tablet as my custom controller only, positioned, fixed on desk.
I know I am doing it entirely in the oposite way a tablet stands for: movement free and wireless connections.
Since I am going on fixed and with cabling, I am not supposed to move it around during the gig.
Sound vibration on location is indeed an actual issue. I´ll pay attention to that, since I haven´t used the Tuna Knobs in a show yet.

Thanks!

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

New simple custom personal layout for Resolume 6.
Now I will test the knobs in a real show, next saturday.
20171206_120526.jpg
20171206_120533.jpg
Paulo

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

How do you like the Tuna Knobs?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

That's a sexy tablet. Who makes it?

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Oaktown wrote:How do you like the Tuna Knobs?
1. They look pretty cool and the seem to have a good production quality;
2. They stick pretty well, by suction, to the tablet surface. They rotate nicely;
3. Sometimes they "lock"/"freeze" most other touching usage on the tablet, meaning I can´t switch to other application for instance. I believe thats because there are so many multi-touches going on already...
4. They don´t have a "tied end". I mean, you can rotate them more than 360 degrees. Although there´s a 30 degree gap at the end, if you rotate too much, sometimes you may end up accidentally going from 100% to 0% in a bit.
5. You are not supposed to work with multi page layouts, unless their positions are "persistent" per page;
6. They don´t have a very good decimal precision and I guess they are subject to major vibrations and gravity;
7. They have no feedback, meaning they will not rotate back or go to any position value you may input directly from your computer, using your mouse for instance. This can get you with some unwanted results, since TouchOSC itself has this type of feedback. It will most probably push values back to the knob actual position.

A good example of that you will find in my own layout:
At top right, in yellow, there´s "C Speed". It stands for the selected clip speed. I may rotate it and it will speed up the selected clip. Right left to it, there´s a 1.0 button. This will set the selected clip speed back to 1.0.
So, lets say I did speed up the selected clip and lect the knob at a high speed position. Whenever I push "1.0", the clip would get back to 1.0 speed. It will not! It will tap at 1.0 speed and then it will get back to the knob current value.
But I guess this is not a Tuna Knob issue. How does this work with a physical controller knob?

I guess that for layer and effects opacity they will work just fine.

I will test this new layout with the knobs next saturday and will let you know.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Arvol wrote:That's a sexy tablet. Who makes it?
Samsung Galaxy Tab S. It is discontinued, I guess.