HD video capture devices FOR LIVE FEED

Bro, does your rig even lift?
manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

HD video capture devices FOR LIVE FEED

Post by manuelgazzo »

Hello there!!!
Most of my time on this forum I read about HDMI or SDI capture devices and how they perform... this topic is about my main concern that still keeps me from having a 100% perfect performance on events.
I know there have been many threads regarding this, but i just want to keep a very simple, unified and brief update regarding which capture device exist out there, how it works (or doesn´t work) and how easy or tedious may turn out to success with it.
I know performance depends on your computer set up and components... but this thread´s goal is to just keep focused on the capture devices only. HDMI and/or SDI !!
My point of view is from a WINDOWS user.
You´re welcome to add any info or argue if your results are different.
Disclaimer: This is not intended to question RESOLUME as a software whatsoever. There are many capture devices out there and it´s no one´s fault at the RESOLUME team if the capture doesn´t work or does work crappy. So don´t give @Joris, @Bart or @Edwin a hard time as they already work hard on giving us this amazing software.

My list starts like this;

- 1 - Blackmagic design Intensity PRO - PCI
Resolume supports blackmagic capture cards, so set up is easy, however, with all my blackmagic capture devices I can´t get a smooth video capture.... stuttering most of the time although I have no fps drops... Low latency (around 2-3 frames)... but the stutter is the main problem, specially when the camera is doing a pan movement.

- 2 - Blackmagic Decklink Mini Recorder - PCI
Same as above. Good thing is that I can connect 3 of this cards at the same time.

- 3 - Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle - USB 3.0
Same as above, BUT have to add that this device has lots of compatibility issues regarding your motherboard 3.0 usb´s chipset and very tricky setups if you have a different chipset. Although you have the same chipset as recommended by the blackmagic people, this does not guarantee it will work.

- 4 - Avermedia Game Broadcaster HD - PCI
Has a tricky setup every time you load it into your comp. I believe this has something to do with DirectShow. HOWEVER, it works really great... less latency than my blackmagic capture cards and no stutter at all. And also it costs less... besides the tricky setup, it´s perfect. Another thing it that I can only make work one of this cards at a time on Resolume.

- 5 - Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI - USB 3.0
Haven´t tested this device on my own, but @Cosmowe reviewed on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11179&hilit=magewell#p44607
Looks promising. Easy to set up, low latency, but Resolume does not natively support this device. Price also seem very fair. Looking forward to test this on my own.

- 6 - Datapath VisionAV-SDI Capture Card - PCI
Haven´t tried this on my own yet. It´s tec specs look great on their website;
http://www.datapath.co.uk/products/vide ... sionav-sdi
Price is a very high (around $1500 us dollars). That´s the main reason i doubt to just buy it to try it out.
Does any one tried this card in resolume? @dirtyjohn_Iv has some comments about a very similar card of the same brand here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11119&p=44305&hilit=epiphan#p44305

- 7 - VC100xUSBpro - USB 3.0
No experience with this card yet.
There is thread by @LxAV viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11094 having some issues with the fps settings when loading to resolume. This device´s specs look great and price also looks fair. But there is no further information regarding it´s performance. http://www.vd-shop.de/vc100xusbpro-sing ... p-470.html

- 8 - Epiphan SDI2USB - USB 3.0
http://www.epiphan.com/products/sdi2usb-3-0/ Also no further information regarding its performance. Looks like a very interesting device with a "htrough" port so you can copy your sdi source to a separated screen.
Anyone has experience with it?

There are many more capture cards like EMS, Hauppage, etc....
You are most welcome to share your experience so everyone can be benefited and fully orientated to get the most suitable capture device.

cheers!!!!

lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: HD video capture devices FOR LIVE FEED

Post by lotech »

I recently ported my Mac based capture list from the Modul8 forums to the new VJForums Wiki and made a call out for Windows users to add to the page or make a sub-page. A lot of the same gear is relevant for Windows as it is OS-X.

http://www.vjforums.com/wiki/video-capture-equipment/

manuelgazzo

Post by manuelgazzo »

Thanks lotech, good info.
I´m wondering specifically how the work with Resolume (Arena/Avenue) users.
Any user with any experience with their capture cards to add?

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Magewell: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11179

I can say that my BM Intensity Pro cards have been virtually issue free. Others have not been so lucky.

vjcharm

Post by vjcharm »

I use a Roland V4EX and it can work as a (very expensive) live video capture, as it has HDMI inputs and a HDMI or USB output capability. The good thing about it is that it's rock solid, I have never had any of my Roland mixers crash.

manuelgazzo

Post by manuelgazzo »

vjcharm wrote:I use a Roland V4EX and it can work as a (very expensive) live video capture, as it has HDMI inputs and a HDMI or USB output capability. The good thing about it is that it's rock solid, I have never had any of my Roland mixers crash.
How do you capture it into resolume? using which card/dongle?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My $.02!

We own a bunch of Blackmagic capture devices:
  • 1 @ Decklink Duo
    2 @ Decklink Studio 2
    2 @ Intensity Pro
    1 @ Thunderbolt Mini Recorder
They are consistently used with Resolume Arena 4 in both Windows 8.1 media servers and Macbook Pros running 10.10 (by using OWC Mercury Helios 2 Thunderbolt chassis) and we've not had any issues with them!

Latency is about 2-3 fps at 60fps but anything will have some latency so that's quite acceptable.

My favorite is the Decklink Studio 2. It takes two spaces in the desktops but it works great in the OWC Mercury Helios 2 Thunderbolt chassis.

As a note, we are about to buy more and we'll probably get a couple DeckLink Studio 4K and a couple DeckLink Quad so that we can have OWC Mercury Helios 2 Thunderbolt chassis with 5 SDI inputs and the flexibility of all other formats if necessary.

Anything that is not SMPTE compliant, we'll run through a scaler such as Barco ImagePro-II with dual output so that we can feed the signal into the capture card(s) and monitor the signal as necessary in a different format.

Also, quite often we use Blackmagic ATEM switchers such as the Television Studio or the 1M/E Production upstream of Arena and send the program, preview and aux outputs (Television Studio only has program output) via HD-SDI to the capture card(s) so that we can achieve maximum flexibility during live events in combination with media, presentations, etc....

manuelgazzo

Post by manuelgazzo »

that´s very good to know.
I very curious about the Epiphan devices.... they seem to have very usefull dongles and stuff, but have no comments regarding live performances on Resolume...
anyone?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I have been tesitng the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle usb 3 version over HDMI.

measured round trip latency in arena is 100msec, @1080i60 and 720p60.
160msec @1080p24

videos recorded intenally in arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuvzjPqxtN8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gs7NVgdRbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGiWdiTcLyw
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

weezhum

Post by weezhum »

Oaktown, You are a stud. That is all.