Multiple Screens Matrix

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Teletrash
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multiple Screens Matrix

Post by Teletrash »

I got a bunch of old TVs and CRTs flying around here and would like to build a 4x5 Matrix display with them.
I've seen setups like this in more of an art installation environment, but i think it was done with just a lot of VHS / DVD player running on repeat.

To get this rig somehow responsive to accomodate a DJ set it would be nice to controll all screen in realtime from one source. I played with Resolumes mapping capabilitys in the demo version and loved it. So i think it's easy to map the screens to have the illusion of a single display.

The only problem i cant wrap my head around is how to send out as many independet video signals at once. One Server with a lot of graphic cards is to expensive i think.

Is it possible to run instances of Resolume on different machines in sync like a master slave mode? So every machine is doing the processing for its own output but they are all controlled by one Midi Controller or OSC or sync automaticly via Cat5?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Multiple Screens Matrix

Post by Oaktown »

Controlling multiple instances instances of Resolume is fairly easy to achieve using OSC but you'd have to manage each instance independently so it can get pretty complex when you're doing a live set. You can of course use VNC to control all instances from one machine and transfer files via VNC but it still won't be as easy as handling one comp.

The next question I have for you is what type of signal will your old TV and CRT screens take?

There are many ways to skin that cat but the way I would personally create your rig would be by sending one 4K signal (3840x2400@30Hz) to One Datapath dL8 (distribution amp) and break it down into five Datapath X4 (videowall controllers) to get a total of 20 analog outputs (VGA) and as many VGA to Composite converters as needed. The deterrent might be the overall cost which will be close to $8,000 before tax without the main server but it would run solid and would be very easy to handle live.

Another viable set up would be to use a motherboard with three PCIeX16 lanes that can take three high-end GPUs and use Matrox TH2G. You'll need to be sure that the GPUs can each take two Matrox TH2G so that you can split your signal into 18 analog outputs and use 2 of the three GPUs outputs to bring your output count to 20. Once again, you'll need adapter for the VGA to Composite part but the overall cost for this rig would be lower but probably more finicky. If you go that route, make sure both the motherboard and PSU can accommodate the three GPUs

dun_panic
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dun_panic »

need a lot of converters if using one server. i still hv ancient toshiba videowalls that each can drive up to 9 analog out :D . Btw mr oaktown, ive never tried pushing my datapath for 4k.. the best i can get is 2560x1600 @30fps using dvi dual. N thats is pc. From my macs, i cant get it to output more than 1080 yet.. any idea?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

dun_panic wrote:Btw mr oaktown, ive never tried pushing my datapath for 4k.. the best i can get is 2560x1600 @30fps using dvi dual. N thats is pc. From my macs, i cant get it to output more than 1080 yet.. any idea?
First, to be clear, you mean 30Hz not 30fps, right?

Your X4 should accept 3840x2400@30Hz or 2560x1600@60Hz no problems, so make sure you have a Dual link DVI connection (330Mhz or 2x165Mhz) from source to X4 (both output & cable) . The fact you are only getting 2560x1600 @ 30Hz indicates you may not have a Dual Link output or a good DVI-DI cable.

Remember that all cables are not create equal. I personally use the BlueRigger DVI Male to DVI Male Digital Dual-Link Cables and they work no problems. Also make sure you don't use anything longer than 15ft but 6ft is safer.

How do you program your Datapath X4? It's much easier to program on a PC than on a Mac so I always program our X4s with a PC.

What type of mac are you using? If you are using a Macbook Pro, make sure you use MiniDP to DL DVI adapter. If you use the apple adapter, make sure you have firmware v1.03.

Also on the mac, I use SwitchResX to program output definitions that are outside of the regular Apple offerings so depending on what you're trying to do, you may need to program your output as well. For instance I use 3840x1080@60Hz regularly for 2xHD wide confidence monitors and I have to program both the X4 and SwitchResX to get this non VESA resolution.

Let me know if this helps.

dun_panic

Post by dun_panic »

what do you mean by configuration of the x4? is it the edid? For mac..what type of converter should i use, i tried the moshi thunderbolt-hdmi. spec said it can support up to 4k, tried on samsung uhd ledtv n my imac5k can read it no problem

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You need to program your DAtapath x4 using the Datapath x4 software (or Wall Designer) as I mentioned before it's much easier to do in a PC than a Mac.

dun_panic

Post by dun_panic »

its just their normal software right? the one that can crop, output setting etc

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Yes. Set the preferred EDID and organize your 4 regions and outputs as needed.

I could be wrong but I don't think the Moshi adapter would work with the X4. What kind of adapter do you use to go HDMI to DVI at the X4? Is that a DL adapater? On your mac (and PC), I would definitely use the Apple MiniDP to DL DVI adapter and make sure you get one with firmware v1.03. Then get a good DL DVI cable.

Also I mentioned before:
Oaktown wrote:Also on the mac, I use SwitchResX to program output definitions that are outside of the regular Apple offerings so depending on what you're trying to do, you may need to program your output as well. For instance I use 3840x1080@60Hz regularly for 2xHD wide confidence monitors and I have to program both the X4 and SwitchResX to get this non VESA resolution.

dun_panic

Post by dun_panic »

It just a cheap hdmi-dvi adapter, but with a DL pin. Btw from the reports from other user of apple's DL adapter, max reso for 60hz is only 2560, higher than that is 30hz

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It doesn't necessarily have to be either 60Hz or 30Hz. Any combination that will fit the DL's limit of 330Mhz and the 4096 in any direction of the Datapath X4 should work with the apple adapter. Since you can program the preferred EDID of the X4, that means you can get creative and take advantage of the DL specs to maximize your throughput. That's where the SwitchResX software becomes very handy on the mac since you can define any resolution you want.