SONNET XMAC MINI SERVER BM DECKLINK

Bro, does your rig even lift?
5dollarjohnny
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

SONNET XMAC MINI SERVER BM DECKLINK

Post by 5dollarjohnny »

Hello,

I'm looking to re configure our video touring setup, I'm wanting to use Arena as a video server and control all playback and layers either from a HOG 4 or MA 2. Our current setup is running 4 HD cameras into a Blackmagic 4K switcher then a single program out of the switcher into a black magic ultra studio mini recorder then thunder bolt into MBP so I have control of IMAG and graphics on faders on my APC 40.

I'm currently in the process of building a video server with the new Mac mini i7 16g 1tb flash storage in a Sonnet X-Mac Mini Server inclosure that gives me the ability to add 2 PCIE cards. What I would like to get would be a Blackmagic Decklink 4K Extreme card that has the ability to input hd-sdi and output at the same time but I haven't been able to get resolume to recognize the card as an output only as a input source. The only work around I've found has been using a syphon that allows me to do that. But I would like to not have to use the syphon and have resolume recognize it natively under the displays. If not I can use the second PCIE slot for a display out card possibly but not sure what would be the best option? And if I'm not running this media system the best way please explain how I can.

Thanks.

John

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: SONNET XMAC MINI SERVER BM DECKLINK

Post by drazkers »

Resolume does not recognize black magic cards as outputs sadly. They get their outputs through OSX and the mac operating system won't recognize that as a native display

You need to use the syphon solution which you know of or switch to something like touch designer or Avolites which supports the SDI video out on capture cards.

Having a dedicated graphics card and a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter would be the more reliable and powerful solution. Integrated cards work but will certainly not be optimal for 1080p. A dedicated graphics card would go a long way.

Personally I'd suggest a mac pro with the Sonnet rack case housing, then you have three PCIE slots.

I would wait for someone to chime in with Resolume and these cases and dedicated cards tho.
We moved to PC years ago so I personally can't say how stable Resolume is with these Sonnet cases. But if OSX picks it up natively it should be great.

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

None of the Blackmagic single cards will do input and output simultaneously (with the exception of the dual / quad SDI cards which are actually multiple cards on a single board)

Macmini is a crap platform for Resolume due to the weak GPU. Gigabyte Brix Pro Nvidia version is a much better choice.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I think that SDI output support is in the works for R5 but I'm not 100% sure. Joris?
sleepytom wrote:None of the Blackmagic single cards will do input and output simultaneously (with the exception of the dual / quad SDI cards which are actually multiple cards on a single board)
As far as I know the only Blackmagic single cards that don't support simultaneous I/O are the Recorder and Monitor. All the other cards support simultaneous I/O.
drazkesr wrote:Having a dedicated graphics card and a HDMI to HD-SDI adapter would be the more reliable and powerful solution. Integrated cards work but will certainly not be optimal for 1080p. A dedicated graphics card would go a long way.
I personally use Blackmagic DVI extenders to get direct SDI out of media servers rather than HDMI to SDI converters. The main reason I go that route is that I can also use the extenders with HDLink Pro units and send regular computer resolutions (1024x768, 1600x1200, etc..) over SDI instead of being stuck with broadcast resolutions (1280x720, 1920x1080.....)

5dollarjohnny, to make sure there is no confustion, the Sonnet X-Mac Mini Server will not let you add a PCIe GPU so if you go with that setup you're stuck with the Mac Mini integrated graphics card. http://www.sonnettech.com/support/chart ... usextender

A good alternative for Thunderbolt to PCIe is the OWC Mercury Helios2. It features one x16 PCIe 2.0 double width card slot, and one x8 PCIe 2.0 single width card slot which is great for a card like the Decklink 4K Extreme since it gives a blank slot for the HDMI panel. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/HELIOS2TB2/

As a final note, the Sonnet X-Mac Mini Server chassis are pretty pricey and when you add the cost of the Mac Mini, you could build yourself a pretty nice entry level Windows server for that money that will be much more inline with what you need.