2 triplehead2go DE on 2 GTX980

Bro, does your rig even lift?
fingers
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

2 triplehead2go DE on 2 GTX980

Post by fingers »

Hello, does anyone connected two triplehead2go on two GTX980?

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Martín

chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: 2 triplehead2go DE on 2 GTX980

Post by chenthemagician »

Greetings,

What's the environment, that you want to do this in and what are you trying to achieve?

In a vacuum, that should be able to work...however, depending on the physical graphics card that you have, you would have enough ports to accomplish your goal. Using the triplehead2go can be more of a hassle, to ensure it plays well over all,however, I would suggest a displayport 1.2 MST Hub, either a 3 or 4 port. This gives you 3-4 independent outputs from a displayport on the graphics card. Far less issues there.

my 2 cents from sunny JA

Chen
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: 2 triplehead2go DE on 2 GTX980

Post by Oaktown »

fingers wrote:Hello, does anyone connected two triplehead2go on two GTX980?
Since you are talking about two GTX980, you should have no problems using one Matrox TH2G per card. You might actually be able to use two Matrox TH2G on each card.

Now if you are using the two GTX980 in SLI, they will act as one GPU so you would will be limited to whatever works on one GPU. From the Nvidia website:
In 2-way SLI, both GPUs will render the exact same frame, but perform sub-pixel sampling using offset coverage points that will be merged together to provide a much smoother-looking image.
chenthemagician wrote: I would suggest a displayport 1.2 MST Hub, either a 3 or 4 port. This gives you 3-4 independent outputs from a displayport on the graphics card. Far less issues there.

I totally agree with Chen re. MST vs Matrox. The newer Maxwell 2 GPUs should be able to support as many MST Hubs as they have 4K DP ports (so 3 on the GTX980) but the older Kepler GPUs are still limited to two (and only if you have the right driver). This means that in theory a GTX980 should be able to support three 4K MST tiles and a UI display no problems.

Another option which is even more flexible than MST Hubs but more expensive is the Datapath X4 which gives access to 4 completely independent outputs. Currently it's a DL-DVI system but I believe they will be releasing a DP/HDMI model soon with a pass through output so that one can connect multiple devices in line without having to use splitters/amps.