Assessment of new PC build

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Assessment of new PC build

Post by Wasko »

What do you think of this build? I've been to some consultations with a PC shop where I live and we're trying to assemble the most powerful possible multimedia PC within my 3k-4k budget. A typical set up for me runs 2 - 3 projectors via triplehead2go; and I'd ideally like to have all my content in HD without my frame rate dropping below 30fps.

Intel Core i7 i7-5820K Hexa-core (6 Core) 3.30 GHz Processor - Socket R3 (LGA2011-3)Retail Pack - 1.50 MB - 15 MB Cache - 5 GT/s DMI - Yes - 3.60 GHz Overclocking Speed - 22 nm - 140 W - 152.2°F (66.8°C)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 SDRAM Memory Module - 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) - DDR4 SDRAM - 3000 MHz DDR4-3000/PC4-24000 - 1.35 V - Non-ECC - Unbuffered - 288-pin - DIMM

Asus Strix Radeon R9 390 Graphic Card - 1.05 GHz Core - 8 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 - 512 bit Bus Width - Fan Cooler - OpenGL 4.4 - 3 x DisplayPort - 1 x HDMI - 1 x Total Number of DVI - PC

Intel 240 GB 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - SATA - OEM

WD Black 2 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - SATA - 7200 - 64 MB Buffer - 1 Pack

That machine can be assembled for around $3200, I'm planning on buying a flight case so that'll take me to about $3500. I can probably afford to upgrade one of these components. Perhaps the GPU? Or the Processor?

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Assessment of new PC build

Post by He2neg »

The thing you should upgrade first is the Size of the SSD.
On the SSD you should have your OS & Arena as well as your VJ footage Its more then you think ;)

GPU has a enough Ram, but some isussed were mentioned in this Forum with AMD cards.. you may find a Nvidia with a bit less of vramm for the same price.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Wasko »

Thank you for your reply !

Some interesting points - I have a few questions:

The graphics card was chosen because of it's 3 Display Port outputs, something that can apparently limit selection in PC component parts. I did read that thread about the AMD issues.. but it's an ASUS card, not AMD? Am I mistaken / do they have similarities I'm unaware of?

As for the SSD, having Arena + OS on it will be key, but the thought was to have my other 2TB drive for storage of all my content - that would be loaded onto the SSD as needed for gigs, keeping it with free space and fast.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Yes it say Asus on the Box but the Cip inside is : AMD Radeon R9 390

When you use the 240gb SSD as you said it should be fine, but i would be to lazy to copy and delete all the time ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I would definitely use an Nvidia GPU rather than an AMD!

After years of using/battling AMD cards, I finally switched to EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card and I haven't had one single issue since and I often have two 4K outputs! Don't forget that most of the magic in Resolume happens in your GPU!

As far as SSD, if you can use an M2 SSD drive (such as a Samsung M2 950) if your motherboard supports it (BTW you forgot to mention the MB for your setup and it's a key component) or a PCIe SSD drive or M2 with PCIe adapter if your motherboard doesn't! The difference in speed is tremendous and you'll be thankful you went that route.

Also, you can still use a mechanical drive for archival butif you are going to run media on it stay away from mechanical drives and only use SSD instead. They are so cheap these day that you can't afford not to.