NVIDIA NVS 810 for new system

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: NVIDIA NVS 810 for new system

Post by Joris »

Using a GTX with an NVS in not unstable, it's a hassle. So much of a hassle that we don't recommend it. Performance is so-so. Eight of your 1080p streams have to travel down the PCIe bus of one card and back up to the other. I'm sure someone here can do the math on PCIe bandwidth, it's safe to say it's far from ideal.

Two GTXs together works better, in so far that you don't have to jump through crazy hoops to get the setup to run. You do run into the same problem that half of your output has to travel via the PCIe buses, which takes power away from performance.

I'm going to give the same advice as Oaktown, the most reliable and optimal solution is to use Datapath graphic extenders. That way all processing is handled on a single GPU, and no extra passing back and forth of textures is required.

I know Datapaths are out of your budget. Keep in mind that anything over 4 outputs required NASA grade hardware not too long ago. Cheaper hardware and software made many things easier and accessible, but still running an 8 or more output setup is a considerable undertaking. If you're able to set it up, you have a unique and highly valuable skill, that not many others have. If there is no budget on the project to do it correctly hardware wise, chances are your own compensation is not valued at what it should be either. In that case, it might be a good idea to reconsider investing the time and effort involved in doing it on the cheap.

Currently the only way to do more than 6 outputs on a single computer reliably without extra hardware, is to use a media server solution like AI or Touch Designer running on Quadro hardware. At which point you're probably looking at a similar or even much higher price tag as two Datapaths and Resolume.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Btw, also keep in mind that most of our advice is based on the most demanding scenarios that you could want, for instance running full 15360 x 1080 content, spanning a single image across all the outputs.

If you're just taking a basic SD comp and sending each 1024x768 layer to its own output via layer to slice routing without much else going on, an NVS810 might just be fine for you. As they say, "your mileage may vary" :)

Emodem
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Emodem »

Joris, thank you so much for your reply and advice.

I would to ask you two last questions, if it's not too much hassle :

1. What would be a PC configuration (I am aware that it is very complex, but my question is just simply what would be one example of a configuration that I could buy and be certain that would work without risk of instability, and that would not be too high-end/expensive).

2. If, not having the financial means now, I would simply be less ambitious on the project for the time being and only use 6 outputs, which card should I purchase that would work flawlessly with Resolume, and have enough punch to handle all outputs in 1080p?

Thank you again for your great help.

Emodem

Post by Emodem »

And a last precision I forgot, in the 8-output case, is that I would not span one image on all the screens, but send 7 1080p feeds, one per screen.

Emodem

Post by Emodem »

...and I wouldn't consider using another software than Resolume. It think it is just completely awesome, and is a source of unlimited creativity. Really.

Joris

Post by Joris »

I'm very sorry, we consciously don't explicitly recommend specific hardware setups, as that puts us in the legal grey area of being responsible for your investment (and the investment of others reading this).

If you want to get an idea of how well certain hardware performs, we have created the benchmark test specifically for this purpose. The benchmark test lists all the hardware components that influence performance (GPU, CPU, operating system and storage medium), so it's very easy to see what works well and what doesn't. I noticed the NVS810 is on there too, btw.

AMD R7 and R9 series cards can do 5 outputs + 1 UI output by using MST hubs. 6 outputs in total is currently the maximum that we can officially support, as it's the maximum that GPU manufacturers officially offer on a single card.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris wrote:AMD R7 and R9 series cards can do 5 outputs + 1 UI output by using MST hubs. 6 outputs in total is currently the maximum that we can officially support, as it's the maximum that GPU manufacturers officially offer on a single card.
But keep in mind two things:
  • 1) Resolume will not be as stable with AMD drivers as it will be with Nvidia drivers. I spent years using AMD cards and experienced continuous issues and random behavior which pretty much all went away when we switched to Nvidia cards. I still have a few R9 cards that I use on low budget projects but I would not use one on anything important!
    2) MST Hubs are not ready for prime time yet!
For what it's worth, I would choose an Nvidia GTX980 and Matrox TripleHead2Go DP Edition over an Nvidia R7 or R9 with MST hub to get 6 outputs any day.

Joris

Post by Joris »

It's almost as if hardware manufacturers realise that distributing and syncing data over more than 4 outputs is a very demanding and high end task, even on modern technology ;)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Very good point! AMD still makes one 6 output GPU but they've definitely gone back to only 4 outputs + MST.

In my humble opinion, video spitters is the way to go especially with the new DisplayPort 1.4 standard that supports 7680 x 4320 at 60Hz. That'll be 16 HD signals per output when the DP1.4 splitters hit the market which means someone could possibly drive 48 HD projectors +1 UI with one GTX1080.

Emodem

Post by Emodem »

Joris, I understand about the gray area and hardware setup. Thank you for the reference to the benchmark test, I'll be sure to check it out. Just in case : if, deducing it from the benchmark test, I came up with a config project, would it still be in the grey zone to tell me if it'd work for my desired 8 outputs setup?

Oaktown, I'll keep away from AMD, then and remain on NVIDIA territory!
And I get the point about the video splitters.

I feel very grateful for all your help on this incredible forum. Thanks again, I'll absorb all the info (a lot to learn within a few days!) try to sort it out and make it work.