NVIDIA NVS 810 for new system

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: NVIDIA NVS 810 for new system

Post by Oaktown »

if, deducing it from the benchmark test, I came up with a config project, would it still be in the grey zone to tell me if it'd work for my desired 8 outputs setup?
When you get there create a new post and there are a few guys on the forum that can take a look at it and give you feedback but at the end of the day, the only to really know if it's going to work for you is to test it.

I personally put every system I use through the ringer in my studio to make sure I understand how they will behave when I go live!

Luxcollective
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Luxcollective »

Joris,

We are going to install the NVS810 for testing here... we don't need massive multi-layer or effects performance, just straight playback of one DXV layer at 12,462x1080 going out to 7 1080p outputs. You mentioned the hassle of disabling the outputs to get the main card to be recognized first. Got it. ...however, when you installed the NVS810 card did you install additional drivers or does the standard Nvidia driver package cover the NVS810 along with the GTX? I am worried about getting into a driver purgatory that I cant get out of.

Did you try it without the main card, NVS810 only? Not sure if that will help by eliminating the bus passing or hurt by eliminating the processing horsepower of my Titan X.

We have a workable solution using the Titan into two X4's but having some frame sync issues between the x4's (testing a blackburst external sync next) In the meantime we want to test an all on one card solution, as well, and since we just need straight playback of one layer we are hoping the NVS810 will make the cut

Thanks!

T.J.

weckmuller
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by weckmuller »

Greetings people!

I just read this entire topic and this is excellent discussion material. I have some questions:
1) Resolume will not be as stable with AMD drivers as it will be with Nvidia drivers. I spent years using AMD cards and experienced continuous issues and random behavior which pretty much all went away when we switched to Nvidia cards.
Why is that? I have similar opinion based on my experience. Can you elaborate a little about why this seems to be true in most cases? Is this somehow hardware related or is it just a matter of driver support?

I also have questions about sync. I work with LED on a daily basis and unsynced video outputs will produce tearing on the screen. When we work with anything over 8,5m with 3mm pixel pitch this will always happen. So my question is simple: Why not look only for the pro range of GPUs (Quadro and FirePro)? When we are talking about GTX and Radeons we dont have the option to fit in a syncing card for the outputs on the GPU itself, am I right?
We have a workable solution using the Titan into two X4's but having some frame sync issues between the x4's (testing a blackburst external sync next)
I wonder if that worked. Can the fx4's genlock correct the unsynced GPU output?

And what about mainboard, ECC memory and multiple thread processing? Is it worth buying workstation? What advantages can I expect for resolume usage? Composition resolution, Layer capacity, Effects, Routing etc..

I also want to thank you all for all the spreaded knowledge!

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

The x4 will automatically frame lock all four outputs whenever the monitor timings are comparable, additionally it will genlock these to the input whenever they have related frame rates.
You can also sync multiple x4 units. The ports are on the unit.
I have no experience with the x4-1u units.
Screen Shot 2017-01-06 at 4.57.02 PM.png

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

cvanhoose wrote:You can also sync multiple x4 units. The ports are on the unit.
As a note, I believe that these ports were part of a future implementation that didn't get released and as such are not working ports.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

I may have a couple useless cables then :o I must have lucked out with them both being in sync.
I see the Fx4 has bnc connections now.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure regarding the dummy ports (I'll 2x check with Datapath) but if you are running several X4s on the same GPU, I think they are inherently synced since the GPU's outputs are synced.

As far as the fX4, the Sync accepts Tri-level or Black burst syncs for genlocking the Fx4 to external devices so you'd need to have external hardware to provide the sync signal.

Dayyy021
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Dayyy021 »

So, Since the subject is about the NVS 810, How about we actually talk about it.
This is an 8 mini DisplayPort 4GB ram GPU for about $650 plus as many miniDP to HDMI cables as needed.

Has anyone used this on its own?

Good? Bad?
Mobile DJ Visuals - Arena 5 - Chauvet Xpress - Dell Latitude 5550 i7 8gb ram and 2gb gpu - 2x Epson 5250 3600lumen projectors - always open to suggestions

Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Digitrevx »

A NVS on its own? Probably pretty underwhelming. It has 2 cores each with 512 cuda so assuming they both work correctly rendering with Resolume. Multi core gpus are a headache and have hit or miss support. I read a PNY version running at 900mhz max that's around 1.8tflops best case scenario. With its 4gigs of vram (Split 2gig per core) that's like 3-4 year old gaming laptop specs. You can get a few layers going on a gpu like that but nothing cray. This assumes you get 1024 cuda cores to work with not 512. So my guess would be probably not a good day running just a NVS and I think everyone knew this so didn't bother talking about it.

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lightbx »

Well, just to play Devil's Advocate...

Yes, most people here (rightly!) doubted that a single NVS 810 would work very well in a Resolume Media Server (and several reasons have already been stated).

However, it seems OP only wants straight playback of a single clip. That isn't very intensive for a GPU. The main problem will be resolution. If it is an 8K+ clip you want to play across 12 monitors tiled, well, you're probably "gonna have a bad time." If it were a single 1080p clip (or perhaps a single 4K played back 3 times, 4 monitors each) then maybe you will achieve what you need.

Lastly, if it is really just a single clip you want to play back straight... (the devs/community may hate me for this) ... do you need to use Resolume? It was my understanding that the NVS810 is a digital signage card anyway and with NVidia's Mosaic capabilities in these Quadro drivers you could set up the monitors how you need and play the video on loop using VLC/Quicktime or any basic media player.

*throws wrench into thread, exits quietly*

edit: HAS OP GOTTEN ONE OF THESE CARDS AND TRIED IT YET ??