do you think Resolume will ever make a physical server?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
JimmyP
Is taking Resolume on a second date

do you think Resolume will ever make a physical server?

Post by JimmyP »

I would love to see Resolime create their own media server hardware that is fine tuned for their software. it would be a heck of a lot easier than mismatching parts into a PC to find the best setup. I know they are waiting till Arena 6 to release CITP and over stuff like that, would be cool to build a model that is tuned towards LD's using video walls.

what are your thoughts?
Jayme McColgan
Lighting Designer

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: do you think Resolume will ever make a physical server?

Post by drazkers »

Creating a server and giving proper support, like avolites or hippo takes alot infastructure. LDs in particular expect things never to break, have 24 hour support lines.

I personally think the resolume guys are really smart about this, they'll offer help and suppor but they aren't burdened with supporting hardware years later when adding new features or increasing system loads. Creating and supporting servers takes alot and might make them less agile in developing features by pulling talent.

Personally I hope they don't, they've catapulted ahead of other server companies that had strangle holds like hippo, catalyst, martin and most impressively arkaos.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: do you think Resolume will ever make a physical server?

Post by Joris »

Like Drazkers says, we're very cautious about bringing out a dedicated server. Making and supporting hardware is a totally different ballpark than making and supporting software, it's not even the same sport. Taking care of all the shipping, returns and after-sales is a considerable undertaking. We want to give you the best product and the best experience, not a bunch of good intentions poorly executed.

The advantage of having dedicated hardware is than we can finally invest in certain features that are only available on certain GPUs, for instance GPU Affinity and Sync on Quadro cards. It would be great to finally be able to have an answer for the "I-want-to-output-on-16-projectors-what-computer-do-I-need" question.