Please help with hardware choice

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Pasha_Ram
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Please help with hardware choice

Post by Pasha_Ram »

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to build low budget Resolume mediaserver based on Zalman ZM-1000w, Core i5 6500 (sky lake, box edition), 16Gb RAM, 256Gb M.2 SSD Intel 600p, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 1080 with 3xDisplayports connected with 3 Matrox Trippleheads DP and going to output 11520x720 px sausage by trippleheads plus control monitor on hdmi or dvi with whatever resolution. So, i want to use 9+1 outputs from single GPU.

Displayports from Trippleheads will be converted to Hdmi for twisted pair Hdmi extenders.

Am I doing Ok to go with this hardware and suggested set-up or smth I choose not very well? In before - dont have a budget on Datapath.

The machine suggested to use on installation, not for VJ purpose. Will be used for single 11520x720 movie play.

Thanks in advance!
Pavel

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Please help with hardware choice

Post by Oaktown »

Pasha_Ram wrote:MSI TwinFrozr GTX 1080 with 3xDisplayports connected with 3 Matrox Trippleheads DP
2 Matrox per GPU is the max so you won't be able to connect 3 to your 1080.

If you want 9 displays from one GPU, you'll have to use display controllers such as Datapath X4/fX4 (which you don't have the budget for) or Lindy Video Wall Processor (take a look at this post).

Also as a side note, I would never run a permanent installation on Matrox hardware.

HI5
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by HI5 »

Better get the TripleHead Digital SE its the newest one and was made from scratch.
I used the DP Port 3H before but ran intro trouble using it with win10 and a 980m on mini display port.
No Problems using the Digital SE.

I never used more than one but already was in touch with matrox and the told me i could use 2 of the same kind @ one time with my 980m.
Also as a side note, I would never run a permanent installation on Matrox hardware.
If they're set up and working i never had a problem with a triple head. I always use them with resolume.
Im aware of 3 permanent installations with different 3Heads existing for more than 3 years.
There were a lot of failures with PCs and Beamers in club atmo but all the 3Heads survived.

Pasha_Ram

Post by Pasha_Ram »

Oaktown wrote: 2 Matrox per GPU is the max so you won't be able to connect 3 to your 1080.

If you want 9 displays from one GPU, you'll have to use display controllers such as Datapath X4/fX4 (which you don't have the budget for) or Lindy Video Wall Processor (take a look at this post).

Thanks for the answer!

I undestand, that Matrox TH2Go is not very good solution fo installation purposes, and my Technical Director knows about it, but decided to work with it to earn some money.

Also I expirienced Datapath on another projects which works just perfect.

If so, how do you think, can i install one more GPU unit to connect two more Matrox to the system and get 4 Th2Go on the system?

And in this case how Resolume deal with 2 GPU units?

p.s. sry for my english

Pasha_Ram

Post by Pasha_Ram »

HI5 wrote:Better get the TripleHead Digital SE its the newest one and was made from scratch.
I used the DP Port 3H before but ran intro trouble using it with win10 and a 980m on mini display port.
No Problems using the Digital SE.

I never used more than one but already was in touch with matrox and the told me i could use 2 of the same kind @ one time with my 980m.
If they're set up and working i never had a problem with a triple head. I always use them with resolume.
Im aware of 3 permanent installations with different 3Heads existing for more than 3 years.
There were a lot of failures with PCs and Beamers in club atmo but all the 3Heads survived.
Thanks for the advice!

Did you used latest firmware on your DP Port 3H, when you faced the trouble on win 10 and 980m?

If you connect Digital SE without any outputs plugged in, it already determines as 3840x720 or 5760x1080 or you need to plug outputs to get stretched display?

HI5

Post by HI5 »

Did you used latest firmware on your DP Port 3H, when you faced the trouble on win 10 and 980m?
Yes and latest NVIDIA Drivers. Was in touch with matrox for a week and there was no solution.
Really tried everything. The DP was not recocnized by win as it should.
The Digital SE is newer and cheaper. Youll need some DVI to HDMI adapters.

If you connect Digital SE without any outputs plugged in, it already determines as 3840x720 or 5760x1080 or you need to plug outputs to get stretched display?
I use it @ 3840x800 60HZ
If u once have adjusted the wanted output resolution in matrox power desk the triplehead will be handled as an external monitor with the set up resolution. You can adjust things in nvidia control panel as for any other monitor.
It is recognized and avavibale in resolume even if there is no projector connected to the interface.

Pasha_Ram

Post by Pasha_Ram »

Thanks, HI5

As I read on this forum Resolume could work with Dual GPU's in the system. So i have Core i7 with Iris 530 graphics which can do 4k output from Displayport. Interesting if nVidia and Intel graphics could work together in one system or not?
Possible place 2 TH2Go from nVidia and 1 from Iris 530

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

As I read on this forum Resolume could work with Dual GPU's in the system.
Yes, but as you probably read already it comes with some drawbacks but it seems to work fine for most.
So i have Core i7 with Iris 530 graphics which can do 4k output from Displayport. Interesting if nVidia and Intel graphics could work together in one system or not?
Possible place 2 TH2Go from nVidia and 1 from Iris 530
I would not suggest using the onboard graphics card to run Resolume at all especially considering the size of your comp so you're probably better off getting two lesser cards (GTX 1060 for instance).

jate
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by jate »

This is late, but you could use your 1080 + this, and might be good: https://www.pny.com/NVIDIA_NVS_810_for_ ... P_Displays

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

^^^^ This is bad advice. I can't find the specific thread right now, but Joris and the Resolume devs tried it and wrote up a thorough report on it. The NVS810 throttles the GTX hard.

Using a GeForce card with a Quadro card is like doing pizza when you're supposed to french fry...