CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
joedanger1
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed?

Post by joedanger1 »

Hello all, I will create a separate thread for my build.

I am not new to high performance pc or server builds, but I am new to projection mapping.

I have been tasked with researching a build for what will be the first install of its kind in my country, and I need assistance/advice.

Say, for a build with what I assume to be high performance requirements, would you go for:

1. Intel Core i7 6900K Broadwell-E 3.2/4.0GHz 8C/16T $1500 (price in my country)
2. Intel Xeon E5-2630v4 2.2/3.1GHz 10C/20T $1200
3. Intel Core i7 6850K Broadwell-E 3.6/4.0GHz 6C/12T $829
4. Intel Xeon E5-2620v4 2.1GHz 2.1/3.0GHz 8C/16T $739

The dilemma is basically between 1 OR 2 (for above $1000), and 3 OR 4 (For sub $1000).

Basically, Core i7 = Higher clock speed, less cpu cores. Xeon = Lesser clock speed, more cores.

Thank you.

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed?

Post by AdevProjects »

Out of the ones you have listed, I would go with #3 Intel Core i7 6850K because of the higher clock speeds when compared to #4.

If you are running just resolume on this machine I think 6C/12T is already overkill without looking at the more expensive options - however if you need to be running multiple other programs or video rendering in the background as well your requirements may change.

I think you will notice a greater difference in performance with a higher clock speed vs increased core count (6 cores w hyperthreading is a lot in my opinion)

Because of the way Intel has priced their extreme chips - I think it would be wasting money to go with the 6900K (only 2 extra physical cores and lower stock clock but basically twice the price?)

Also with i7 vs Xeon, the i7 has integrated graphics meaning the option is there to connect additional video outputs - however you probably wouldnt be using that anyway :)

joedanger1
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: CPU: More Cores or Higher Clock Speed?

Post by joedanger1 »

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I needed.