Yellobrik Input

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Yellobrik Input

Post by Wasko »

Hey all,

Have any of you had any experience using this device? The Yellobrik SDI to HDMI converter.

http://www.lynx-technik.com/en/products ... ategory/1/

I have a gig for new years where the client wants a live feed captured by the cameras of a local broadcasting company fed into the stage visuals. I recommended a Black Magic device, and they said they can provide this one.

I know that resolume will recognize a Black Magic Mini Recorder (Displayport in my case), but I am unsure about this.

Thanks

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Yellobrik Input

Post by drazkers »

This is an SDI converter. It will convert SDI to HDMI. You still need to use your blackmagic capture card with this.

They are converting the signal and expecting you to bring a capture card. You must explain you need a sdi capture card not converter.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

If they're using broadcast equipment, you don't want to convert from 3G-SDI to HDMI before you ingest the signal. You want to use the 3G-SDI directly so you don't need that converter at all. With a live feed, you want to minimize latency as much as you can.

The broadcast team will send you a feed from their switcher so the signal will be 1 frame behind (if they use high end equipment) Blackmagic Design PCIe cards with Resolume will add 2-3 frames of latency so try to bypass any upstream processing unit such as signal converters, up/down/cross scalers, splitters, etc.. that would add unnecessary latency.
Wasko wrote:I know that resolume will recognize a Black Magic Mini Recorder (Displayport in my case), but I am unsure about this.
As a note, DisplayPort is an output not an input so your BMD Mini Recorder is actually using PCIe (input/ouptut) on your Thunderbolt port which is both DisplayPort and PCIe.
158145-thunderboltdiagram-586_original.png
158145-thunderboltdiagram-586_original.png (65.37 KiB) Viewed 6752 times

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Thanks a lot for your reply, this is shining some light.

My issue now is that that I have misunderstood the nature of the DisplayPorts on my computer.

I have a PC that I built for shows. In my GTX980 I have 3 Displayports and an HDMI port. Based on what your saying I won't be able to take input through these ports, which I was starting to suspect before I read this. My computer does not have thunderbolt ports.

Is there such a thing as a USB capture device?
We have the budget to get the equipment we need, if necessary. I'm researching and asking advice to see what our options are.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Another update -
I looked through the specs of my graphics card and learned that it has PCI Express 3.0 listed.

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Graphic Card - 1.30 GHz Core - 1.42 GHz Boost Clock - 4 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0 x16 - Dual Slot Space Required - 256 bit Bus Width - SLI - Fan Cooler - DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.4, OpenCL - 1 x HDMI - 1 x Total Number of DVI - 3 x Mini

Does this mean that my Displayports work as a PCI-E port?
My confusion comes from these ports not being specifically "thunderbolt" and this not being a Mac machine which thunderbolt is typically associated with and I've seen to work with BlackMagic online.

Thanks again for your time.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My issue now is that that I have misunderstood the nature of the DisplayPorts on my computer.
I suspected that from reading your post that's why expanded on that topic.
I have a PC that I built for shows. In my GTX980 I have 3 Displayports and an HDMI port. Based on what your saying I won't be able to take input through these ports, which I was starting to suspect before I read this. My computer does not have thunderbolt ports.
Correct!
Does this mean that my Displayports work as a PCI-E port?
No but some motherboards can take a Thunderbolt adapter and you would connect your GPU to the TB adapter to combine DisplayPort and PCIe on the Thunderbolt pipeline.
Is there such a thing as a USB capture device?
Yes but you'll need USB3 to get HD. My recommendation would be to buy a PCIe capture card assuming you have room on your motherboard. My favorite card at the moment is a Blackmagic Design Duo 2 card which gives you the flexibility of having 2 Inputs/Outputs or or any combination of 4 Inputs/Outputs. (3/1, 1/3, 2/2, 0/4, & 4/0) but there are many cards on the market that can give you various options such as 4K, HDMI, Component, etc...

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Thank you so much Oaktown, you are saving the day.

For cost-effective-ness I'm looking at purchasing this model. I just need to determine if I have the room on my motherboard. I do have USB 3 ports on my computer if I was to go that route.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... order.html

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You're welcome!

The BMD Mini Recorder will work great for what you're after. As a reminder, don't use HDMI if you can get a native SDI signal from their switcher.