Any known issues with: MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K

Bro, does your rig even lift?
AngeloDV
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Any known issues with: MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO 4K

Post by AngeloDV »

Hey guys, I had the 4K problem too but it's an easy fix.

Change your Arena.exe properties to "Disable display scaling on high DPS settings"

Then you can have your laptop screen to any scaling while Arena won't mess up your output resolution
Attachments
DPI scaling.png
DPI scaling.png (15.11 KiB) Viewed 9772 times

Laeti
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Laeti »

Hello

I just got a new MSI GT73VR 6RE TITAN
NVIDIA GTX1070
32GB
Windows10 Family

First I deleted the Nahimic to be able to open Arena 4.2.2
Now it opens fine but it is really too small to be able to use it.

I know Windows 10 is having issue with 4k so I followed the instructions on how to set my Desktop Display Scaling which is scaled by default on 250%
No matter how much I downscale or uspcale it from 125% (which is the minimum) to 250% or upper, it doesn't work out.
I also tried different settings in the "Advance Display Settings/Advance sizing of text and other items", no luck.
I tried also checking or unchecking the box "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in Arena/properties/Compatibility....no luck

Can someone help?
Thanks

Laeti

Post by Laeti »

Hello
Anyone is using 4K laptop and could help from my previous post above?

I think of downgrading to the same laptop but not 4K to avoid software compatibility issues and to much troubleshooting waste time but I have few days left to return it to the store and swap it.

I would love a feedback from people who use 4K laptops!

Thanks!
Laetitia

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

can you change the resolution size to something in the 1920 x 1080 range?

Laeti

Post by Laeti »

I tried few different resolutions in the laptop Display settings. I don't have 1920x1080.

See the attached screen shots of
Arena after I changed the resolution of my display + the available display resolutions + the arena properties

I can see something when I set the laptop resolution to 1680x1050 but it looks horrible and uncomfortable when I open a folder or do something else out of Arena. My screen of course is smaller and I have a big black stripe on each side. And what is the point to have such a low resolution with a 4k monitor...

Does Arena software work fine for VJ's using 4K laptop or monitor? Does anybody use a 4K laptop and have a solution??
Attachments
Arena_Prop.png
WinScale.PNG
Reso3840x2160.PNG
Reso1920x1440.PNG
Reso1680x1050.PNG

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

And what is the point to have such a low resolution with a 4k monitor...
Well, you got a 4K monitor. This means that instead of an HD amount of pixels covering your 15" display, you now have 4 times as many pixels covering that same display.

Now let's say that a clip thumbnail in Resolume is 160x120 pixels big. Displayed on a "regular" HD screen, you'll be able to fit ~10 thumbnails on the screen horizontally. On a 4K screen, you have more pixels, so the logical result is that you'll be able to fit a lot more thumbnails on screen. That's good, right? That's why you got the 4K screen, right?

Of course, what you didn't count on is that this results in those thumbnails looking a lot smaller. This is because although you got 4 times as many pixels, your actual screen didn't get physically bigger, in inches. So now you're cramming a lot more pixels into the same space, making everything look tiny.

Of course a lot of people don't like this. They want 4K, but they don't want things to look smaller. So Windows offers you the option to scale things back up. This is the slider for "size of text, apps, and other items" that was introduced in Windows 8.1. When this slider is set to it's highest value (which is probably the recommended setting) you're essentially performing the same action as setting your resolution back to 1920x1080, except the resulting image is technically sharper.

Applications need to support this slider. Resolume doesn't yet. It requires the whole UI to be rewritten, which is a lot of work. We're going to do this eventually, so far we've focussed on fixing critical bugs. For now, you can use the following work around to trick Resolume into scaling along with the slider: http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app- ... plays-fix/

Note that not having the Scaling Factor at 100% can also result in your output resolutions being messed up: https://resolume.com/support#0x0

All in all, you have a really powerful computer. A lot of people buy this computer just so they can have more screen real estate for clip thumbnails and output monitors. If you want to have the regular looking interface on a 4K screen, you're going to need to be a little more patient until we've had time to meet all the requirements for HiDpi. Or maybe you can ask yourself if you really need a 4K screen if you're going to scale things back up anyway.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

You could just run at 1920x1200 for now. This is the solution for me running TouchDesigner on MBP windows bootcamp also. 120px wont change your aspect ratio dramatically for UI .

Laeti

Post by Laeti »

Thanks for the replies. I guess the world is not ready for 4k yet, meanwhile I will wear binoculars.

Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Thanks for the hands-on experience posts, more please!

I'm thinking of getting this as an upgrade from 2015 Retina Macbook Pro, mainly for Adobe Premiere editing and performing live with Resolume Arena... but I don't want to throw my money away if Resolume does not work well with this laptop!

What about RAM, does Resolume make effective use of say 32GB or 64GB of RAM in Windows 10?

proletariado

Post by proletariado »

IPS monitors are better at picture quality. The only disadvantage is that they are a bit slower.