30 Inputs on 1 Computer

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jate
Is taking Resolume on a second date

30 Inputs on 1 Computer

Post by jate »

Alright guys, let's figure out if this is actually possible or not.
I need help with controlling 24-30 TVs from 1 computer.

The goal:
The TVs don't need to be sent HD - whatever is the max they can get with any setup is fine (480p, or instance).

The setup:
I need to know more about how Resolume Arena uses other GPUs. I know that it officially only supports 1 GPU, but I thought it could pull from the outputs of other GPUs?
If so, my thought is 3 NVS 810s to get 24, and buy a 1080Ti that does all of the actual processing for Resolume. The footage won't be more than 4K, which is why each of the screens doesn't need to get much individual resolution.

I had considered doing just one NVS 810 with MST Hubs, but I found a post here that said it doesn't increase the total number of outputs (not useful for me in this situation).

I've also considered TripleHead2Go on each of the 8 outputs, but I read on their site that you can only use up to 2 per computer. I'm not sure why that would be since it takes an signal and splits it into 3... I would think that should be able to be done as many times as needed, but if someone has more experience with it, please comment!

If you know a way to do it with multiple computers that would still be in-sync (video wall), that works too!

The beg:
Please, if you have any experience in something like this, I need help. I've been researching this for a while, but I know someone has to have done something like this before. Thank you!

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: 30 Inputs on 1 Computer

Post by Empyfree »

Sounds like another ideal outing for the Datapath family...

Two 4K outputs from a 1080 card. Each split (in Resolume) into a grid of 16 slices (each 960x540) (32 slices total)

Feed these via DVI into two Datapath DL8 DA's
Take four outputs of each DL8 into four Datapath X4's (8 total!)
Segment off the original slices, using the X4's to output suitable resolutions for your monitors.

Expensive... but doable!

Empyfree

Post by Empyfree »

Datapath even show a way to do it with one DL8: https://www.datapath.co.uk/multi-displa ... tapath-dl8

jate

Post by jate »

The cost on that is going to be through the roof if I have to buy 8 datapaths though. I feel like there's got to be a cheaper route if I don't need HD.

Can someone confirm if Resolume only allows using outputs from 2 cards, or if it can read them from more?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We allow it. We can't guarantee it will work, but we don't stop you from trying.

People making a custom controller by tie-wrapping two badgers and an AM radio together is what VJ'ing is all about. So we deliberately don't put hardware limitations on Resolume. If you want to go crazy on some mad scientist DIY setups, we're not going to stop you by saying you can use only x amount of outputs.

Although I think you're setting yourself up for a huge headache sticking three of those cards in there.

jate

Post by jate »

I dig it.

I agree with you - I'm totally open to other suggestions. Any ideas?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

depending on how far the audience will be this could be done with a small pitch size led wall like p2.5

or maybe even with 2 or 3 high brightness projectors depending on the lighting,

do you already have the tvs?
you can get signage displays that can be daisy chained with one video signal, and can split the image inside from themselves.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Empyfree

Post by Empyfree »

How long does this installation need to exist for? If it's a short run I'd suggest hiring in the Datapath kit, fraction of the cost of buying three nvs810 cards!

Long run becomes more expensive, but rock solid proven performance.

jate

Post by jate »

ravensc wrote:depending on how far the audience will be this could be done with a small pitch size led wall like p2.5

or maybe even with 2 or 3 high brightness projectors depending on the lighting,

do you already have the tvs?
you can get signage displays that can be daisy chained with one video signal, and can split the image inside from themselves.
There will be lots of other moving heads and light spill, so projectors won't work here. All LED wall quotes I got were extremely high for this same area - over $100k. My hope is to do it with commercial grade TVs too significantly reduce that cost.

Yeah, MST compatible DisplayPort 1.2 displays can be daisy-chained (2 at 4k, and 4 at 1080p), but it is so rare to find a TV or monitor with that capability, and the ones I did find were double the price of commericial grade at half the size.

To make things even more confusing, I've heard people say that "MST hubs" don't add more displays than the card's max. If that's true, then I can't believe MST chaining displays would allow you to control more of them through extended (rather than 'MST Mirror sync' or whatever nvidia is calling it).

Otherwise, I'd just use 8 of these with the 8 DisplayPorts on the NVS 810 and call it done: https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-DisplayPo ... B00MV55Q6U
Empyfree wrote:How long does this installation need to exist for? If it's a short run I'd suggest hiring in the Datapath kit, fraction of the cost of buying three nvs810 cards!

Long run becomes more expensive, but rock solid proven performance.
Unfortunately, this is a permanent installation.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

We are doing two shows with 4 and 5 pieces of 65" LG signage monitors (I think, 65SM5KB or something like that)
We give them one displayport input, daisy chain with displayport cables, and have them set up in 2x2 or 5x1 grid in firmware.
no need for a datapath.
These are not cheap, but with commercial tvs you'll have to buy the datapaths, and these are designed for 24/7 operation unlike the commercial grade tvs.
Not to mention, that you can align these prefectly. They have a bezel of about 12 mm I think.

you give them a grid like 5x4 and you set the position of the tv in that grid, so the tv gets the input signal, and just displays the specified grid area without touching the signal for the others.
we get to the tv-s via DVI over UTP extender then dvi/hdmi to displayport converter, so I'm not sure they are mst.

We don't even switch them off, on stage disassembly, just cut the power as they power on automatically if they have lost power. And no need to switch the inputs on power on, like commercial tv-s. Just add power.
I magine switching on 32 tvs with an IR remote and setting the inputs for each on power loss.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu