Capturing DJI Phantom drone to Arena 5?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Zinim78
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Capturing DJI Phantom drone to Arena 5?

Post by Zinim78 »

Can anyone send me some clues to start a research about this?
Is there a good wireless capture card? or a combo of some sort that will definitely work?

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Capturing DJI Phantom drone to Arena 5?

Post by lightbx »

Since you will be reaching heights far beyond consumer wireless HD (and since those devices usually need AC power at both ends), you will need some pro gear, like the Teradek Bolt series. http://teradek.com/collections/bolt-family However high you want to go with the drone will decide which model you need. (Leave plenty of slack.)

These are designed for wireless HD transmission from cameras for live broadcast, so they are robust (and therefore expensive). You may just want to rent if it is for an event –– let me guess, flyover crowd shots at a festival?

These aren't much bigger/heavier than a wireless microphone transmitter, but I can't say for sure whether attaching it to a DJI phantom will screw with the physics of its flight. That's for you to test and come back with written results.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

what you'd need is some FPV gear, then after you have the video signal you can use a capture card which is supported by resolume, like most Blacmagicdesign hardware.
FPV video transmitters can be as small as a matchbox, and usually use 5 to 12 Volts, the power could be a separate LiPo battery.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

alfaleader

Post by alfaleader »

Teradek Bolt works fine unless in highly crowded environments. Had quite a lot connection drops in a crowd of +-2000 people with camera 5m before the FOH.

Zinim78

Post by Zinim78 »

Thanks a lot for the information.
That's very helpful, I hope to be able to come back with results at the end of the project...

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Actually you dont need wireless capture. DJI uses its own wireless video transmission from drone camera to remote controller. DJI remote controller outputs HDMI 720p. Blackmagic hardware captures this signal easily.

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

^^^ Well there you go!

jawbone

Post by jawbone »

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

The latest DJI drones are outputting 1080 now from the controller via an HDMI port. I have had great success with BlacMagic capture cards and DJI controllers.