Wireless camera input into Windows from an Android phone?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Wireless camera input into Windows from an Android phone?

Post by Scratchpole »

Hello all,
Is there any smart ways to get an Android phone camera input into Windows over wifi?

I'm looking at Chromecast as an option with a HDCP stripper and a Blackmagic capture card and/or a HD mixer so I can get multiple sources into the server.

Any options that I don't know of? I'm a Mac user predominantly ;)
Thanks
Last edited by Scratchpole on Mon Aug 14, 2017 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Wireless camera input into Windows from an Android phone?

Post by Zoltán »

newtek has an NDI camera app, and from there you can go to syphon or spout
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Thanks, that's a back-up/testing possibility, but it's limited to 720p by the looks of it, I need a 1080 signal if possible.

It also looks like it accesses the camera directly. I need to display a 'special feature' of this particular phone which is that it displays both front and rear cameras side by side in a 'window' on the phone.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Manycam is a computer app, use that with an IPcam app on your phone. Send MAnycam via NDI.
If you're on a Mac, use IPCAM4SYPHON instead of Manycam, it's a 16 IPcam switcher

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Scratchpole wrote: I need to display a 'special feature' of this particular phone which is that it displays both front and rear cameras side by side in a 'window' on the phone.
so you need to display what you see on the phone display? then look for screencast apps.
And when you get the screen on your windows laptop you probably can grab it to a virtual webcam.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Yes thanks, screencast apps is what I've been looking into.

Haven't found any receiver apps with Spout so a Miracast app or the Chromecast dongles is still my favoured solution, I will probably try and stick multiple dongles into a v40 mixer and then capture a pre-mixed single HD signal with a Blackmagic rather than try and get multiple wifi signals into the computer which may or may not be easily routable into Arena.

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

Did my first test today using a Mirascreen HDTV adapter I picked up at a local cheapo store. It conveniently works with mac and windows/android.
It connects easily and works reasonably well.
Bit of a lack of resolutions and refresh rates and not able to add any extra edid's with switchresx.
Best result was with the device set at 1920x1080 24p All the others were 60), but with my macs system prefs outputting 720p. Even then with it in close proximity the framerate was pretty crap, roughly 16fps.

I'm going to try the Chromecast version 2 next and see if it works any better. Think it may use a slightly different wifi protocol.
I wonder if you have the ability to change resolutions and refresh rates with Chromecast?
Another difference is that Chromecast goes via a router rather than direct like the Mirascreen device. I don't think that will help with latency etc.

Once this is in the venue with bodies and shed loads of interference it could all get a bit unreliable. More testing!!!

Scratchpole

Post by Scratchpole »

I'm sure you are all gripped by this evolving story so here's another update :lol:

Got a Chromecast version 2 today.
Bit fidlier to set-up as it needs to connect to a router with internet connection (the internet can be disconnected from the router after set-up it seems). Not possible to set-up the device on a Mac , as you need to run Google Home app in order to establish the connections. Once set-up you can use Chrome browser to 'cast' tabs or desktop from Mac.

Much much better signal and framerate, you can change the output between 60 and 50Hz but not the resolution it outputs.

One major drawback is that it outputs HDCP, to be expected but a bit of a PITA.
Stripped HDCP by routing the HDMI through a cheap splitter box.

Next stage is multiple phones and dongles into the computer, I'll be sure to let you all know a trick I have up my sleeve in order to accomplish that ;)