Expected Resolume performance on laptop?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

Not THAT fussed about freeframe myself. It has some potential but I don't have much use for most of them, save for gaussian blur, panspinzoom etc.

I wouldn't mind if the most universally usefull effects (Blur, Thresh, reposition, resize, colour adjust etc.) were just built in.

I'd imagine Bart and Eddie are rather precious about Resolume (rightly) to collaborate and the same for pilgrim. I say they should do it themselves for Resolume though it would be a major, major rewrite i think.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

resolume is indeed doing everything on software bases.
So every effect and blend mode is done by the CPU.
Pilgrim is using the GPU and that makes it very fast, but then again you are limited on functionality when using the GPU only. But since more and more cards are supporting fragment shaders it get's more and more interesting.
If you make the choice to make a GPU based render engine then almost everything should be done using the GPU, if you start to mix both performance will drop dramatically. We've done some research on the GPU side and it is definately something for the future. I can't properly run Pilgrim on my laptop by the way because my videocard does not supporta ll the fancy things pilgrim does.

And that's just one of the major reasons why our software is CPU based,
when we started making resolume most videocards did not have this support and just now most machines ( not all ) are shipped with a videocard that support it.

so yes cheers to the pilgrim guys for making such a fast app.
and no i think we will never join forces.
good competetion is healthy for the market

cheers
Edwin de Koning

continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

That's all we can ask for, at least you've got your eye on it eddie.

It wouldn't be worth making a 'better' program that you couldn't market as well as the current one I'd imagine. Maybe when its time for Resolume 3.0....

Besides you can buy CPUs more than capable of handling res full speed (i.e 25fps at least) on three layers (I use an ageing Athlon 2000XP and it can) and they're only becoming better. Worry about the hard drives for performance - that's where you can make the biggest difference in one go with res.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks Ed, and you're right: the vj world isn't yet up to gear. Support for shader model 2.0 is still quite low. That's why we're currently in the process of lowering the specs for Pilgrim R2.0. But we should have done our homework months ago ;)
Anyway, when better support gets there (especially on laptops), we're ready.

How's life btw? Going to AVit this year?

Greets,
Roy (nkm)