12 outs: Blackmagic Decklink Quad 2 + GTX 1080 TI

Bro, does your rig even lift?
CCx266
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: 12 outs: Blackmagic Decklink Quad 2 + GTX 1080 TI

Post by CCx266 »

Hey admiralperpetual,
Thank you very much for your non-theoretical input :)
I have three simple questions:
Do you use more than the 'output transformation' in Resolume on each slice ? (effects, processing...)
Does the Decklink quad 2 make the calculation by themselves or you have another powerful GPU ?
What is your processor ?

Thanks.

Ladin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Ladin »

Hi there,

Nice topic here, so I would like to ask someone with experience using BMD Decklink Quad 2.

When control monitor is connectect to primary card, and all displaying devices (beamers, LED wall inputs, etc..) are connected to BMD Q2, are these outputs synced (without visibe tearing) or not?
(I can imagine, that there should be a delay between outputs of primary graphic card and BMD, but if I´ll use only BMD outputs..)

Is there the same (or similar) problem with identifying displays in windows after swithing something off (computer, projectors)? (It should not be, because, there is no extending desktop like with normal graphic card, but just asking to be shure)..

Thanx..

L.

lightbx

Post by lightbx »

The outputs across the Decklink will not be synced. I have not used one myself, so I cannot speak to tearing. If you are blending multiple projectors, you may notice the offset, but if these are 12 discrete outputs (or have different content across those outputs) you should be OK with the BMD card for all outputs.

Good question re: Windows losing track of displays. I would imagine it only lists one display (your main monitor) and therefore doesn't do any of that re-ordering nonsense when a monitor connected to the BMD card is powered off. I think the BMD Desktop Video Utility should remember the resolution and frame rate of each port too.

admiralperpetual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by admiralperpetual »

CCx266 wrote:Hey admiralperpetual,
Thank you very much for your non-theoretical input :)
I have three simple questions:
Do you use more than the 'output transformation' in Resolume on each slice ? (effects, processing...)
Does the Decklink quad 2 make the calculation by themselves or you have another powerful GPU ?
What is your processor ?
Thanks.
-yes, lots of effects/warping/etc
-decklink is purely input/output card, so the GPU does the work. however there is reduction in FPS due to moving everything over PCI-E bus to the decklink from the GPU
-have two systems that run 2x cards (16 outputs/inputs) with a i7 6700 and a GTX 1070, the system with 3x cards has a Xeon E5-1620V3 and a GTX 1080ti, note that in resolume 5 this isn't actually much different than the i7 since the clock speed is actually a bit lower, but I wanted to make sure we had enough PCI-E lanes for all 4 cards. excited to test it out with resolume 6 very soon though!

admiralperpetual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by admiralperpetual »

lightbx wrote:The outputs across the Decklink will not be synced. I have not used one myself, so I cannot speak to tearing. If you are blending multiple projectors, you may notice the offset, but if these are 12 discrete outputs (or have different content across those outputs) you should be OK with the BMD card for all outputs.

Good question re: Windows losing track of displays. I would imagine it only lists one display (your main monitor) and therefore doesn't do any of that re-ordering nonsense when a monitor connected to the BMD card is powered off. I think the BMD Desktop Video Utility should remember the resolution and frame rate of each port too.
-haven't noticed any tearing, even when FPS is quite low, and I have vsync disabled.
-you are correct, windows only sees the GPU outputs, so don't need to worry about that - though I have heard reports of resolume confusing the order of the outputs after restarting occasionally.. this may be fixed in resolume 6 though as when playing with the Beta I noticed it had a lot more options for the BMD devices in the advanced output.
-resolume over-rides the BMD desktop utility settings, IE if you have it set to 23.98 in BMD you can still set it to 60 in Resolume or vice verca

Ladin

Post by Ladin »

admiralperpetual wrote:
lightbx wrote:The outputs across the Decklink will not be synced. I have not used one myself, so I cannot speak to tearing. If you are blending multiple projectors, you may notice the offset, but if these are 12 discrete outputs (or have different content across those outputs) you should be OK with the BMD card for all outputs.

-haven't noticed any tearing, even when FPS is quite low, and I have vsync disabled.
-you are correct, windows only sees the GPU outputs, so don't need to worry about that - though I have heard reports of resolume confusing the order of the outputs after restarting occasionally.. this may be fixed in resolume 6 though as when playing with the Beta I noticed it had a lot more options for the BMD devices in the advanced output.
-resolume over-rides the BMD desktop utility settings, IE if you have it set to 23.98 in BMD you can still set it to 60 in Resolume or vice verca

Thanks a lot;-)