help needed re: midi keyboards

Bro, does your rig even lift?
funkcutter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

help needed re: midi keyboards

Post by funkcutter »

hello
i'm in a band - i play keyboard - but i have been a vj for many years. i have just gone and bought myself a laptop dell inspiron 9300 with a 256MB nvidia geforce 6800 go graphics card. i want to play keyboard in the band whilst triggering video clips. resolume was recommended to me as the right software, but i'd like some advice on the right keyboard. i would like a 61 key one really, but are they assignable for that many keys? i'm no concert pianist - it's all very basic stuff - we have two keyboards in the band- one does all the fiddly stuff and i'm more like the bass...

o yes, and we're talking low budget, before it all gets really tempting and i don't eat for even longer!

thanx in advance

MtB
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by MtB »

if you are going to use resolume only for video triggering, it should be such a vaste :)
you can check alternative video triggering only software which are lighter than resolume.
also, you need to setup an second machine for this i suppose.
1.5 octave keyboards gives you 25 keys which means 25 clips to trigger without replacing or reloading the clips on the fly

you can check m-audio's oxygen8 or o2 as keyboard

hope it helps

bw

t.

ps: oh yes, you can assing but, on resolume for example, you only have 20 clips on a deck, and it designed much more for doing someing on the fly. so at least, you have to create your decks for your songs and load them on the fly etc. and as far as I know, you can only assing the active decks clips to the keys so you have to switch the decks on the fly again which looks quite hard to do while you are also playing something. on another video triggering only software (I dont want to mention the name, cos I might look like I am makine advertaisement) there are much more alternatives about combing with the music etc. and in my humble oppinion if you might wonder, it looks much more suitable for you.

[Edited on 23-4-2005 by MtB]

funkcutter
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by funkcutter »

thnx for getting back to me = i downloaded resolume to have a trial - and I LIKE IT!!! think it will be cool, as i don't play very fiddly bits in the songs, so will have room for vjing too - i quite agree it would be a waste to just use if for triggering.

i bought an evolution 61 key keyboard, so have loads of room to play (my main track does span 4 octaves) and will try to hook it all up this weekend, when the board arrives. will probably be back here reading up asap. (and yelling 'help' very 'quietly' ;))

thanx...
tra=x funkcutter

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

easy mate :)
your new laptop sounds sweet, should run resolume nicely :)
if you need any help, just let me know - u know where to find me.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

Check out the Korg MicroKontrol as well, it's a 37 key keyboard that also has a bunch of faders, knobs and 16 pressure pads. Not necessarily the best for music, but very handy for controlling VJ software.