Using Multiple Capture Cards

Bro, does your rig even lift?
willtom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Using Multiple Capture Cards

Post by willtom »

I am currently considering building my new desktop. I'm expecting to be using it for a number of years and generally like to spec high end kit. While I'm at it, I may as well build something I can actually use for work as well. To that end I'm expecting 1950x, 64gb ram, nvme m.2 ssd, 1080ti, fx4, you know, the sort of system that'll handle itself well. I'm considering using resolume to do some mapping and so on for corporate work (4-6 1080 proj, maybe more), with an external vision mixer (or two if things get really silly), external graphics switcher, external switcher for logos and so on, likely using blackmagic cards for video capture. What I'm hoping to find out is what difficulties or limits might I face in resolume. I know it has a maximum resolution, I know that gpu/CPU/storage will be ok for a lot of content internally, but how many hd streams will it cope with capturing. Do I need to be concerned, or is that unlikely to ever be a limiting factor? If that might be a limiting factor, is there anything I can do to improve it?

The intention here is a minimal additional investment over the desktop I'm already building. I know I possibly ought to just use hippo/watchout/d3, but that is a lot of extra budget to find

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Using Multiple Capture Cards

Post by Arvol »

Got a few threads floating around similar to this one.
Here is one i just replied to:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15660

I have a Hippo I would LOVE to sell you :twisted: :lol: (for real, hmu, I'll make you a hell of a deal lol)

Is there a resolution limitation for Resolume? (news to me)
I think the limitation is hardware dependent. If you have a crazy build, It should be able to push those pixels.

In regards to using multiple input cards, it's going to come down to PCIe lanes for you. Grab a CPU/MOBO combo that will get you what you need and you should be good to go.
I'd like to hear from a dev, that having 36 inputs spread across 4 cards would be supported by the software. tgh I've never tried anything that big, so I don't know if there is any limitations to hardware input counts?

i9's will get you 44 PCIe lanes, and the Threadripper is suppose to do 64 PCIe lanes?
Most cards don't use the full potential of x16 from what I've been reading (correct me if I'm wrong).
And most BMD input cards run at x8
Here's an interesting article:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... ring-1030/

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

16384x16384

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Oaktown wrote:
16384x16384
Very interesting.
So since a single GTX1080ti max resolution is about half of the limit, would you be able to hit this limit using 2 or more cards? Or are you tied to the max limit of the GPU that is rendering Resolume? (Half of the limit)

Is that limit for composition size or the amount of pixels being sent in total (multiple outputs or screens)

Also kind of curious where you got the number from.
I'm sure everything has limitations. Kind of nice to see that number being so large :)

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Arvol wrote:So since a single GTX1080ti max resolution is about half of the limit, would you be able to hit this limit using 2 or more cards?
The 1080ti max resolution is 7680x4320@60Hz per output since DisplayPort 1.4 can support 8K UHD (7680 × 4320) at 60 Hz with 30 bit/px RGB color and HDR (High Dynamic Range) using DSC (Display Stream Compression 1.2) with HBR3 transmission rates (32.4 Gbit/s).
Or are you tied to the max limit of the GPU that is rendering Resolume? (Half of the limit)
Comp and output are two different things. 16384x16384 is the max comp size, 7680x4320@60Hz is the max output of a 1080ti so if you're output via 3 DisplayPort 1.4 outputs on your 1080ti, you could technically output 3 times 7680x4320@60Hz in addition to your UI.
Is that limit for composition size or the amount of pixels being sent in total (multiple outputs or screens)
Comp size. Since you can send the same comp to multiple outputs, the number of pixels sent can be different and will be limited by the GPU.
Also kind of curious where you got the number from.
Try setting your comp size to a larger number ;) This is the same as Arena 5
I'm sure everything has limitations. Kind of nice to see that number being so large :)
Unfortunately, that large number has its limitation! For instance, if you're trying to do a 360˚ seamless blend with HD/WUXGA projectors as it limits you to 8 or 9 side by side (depending on the blend size) so if you're doing a 360˚ installation with 14 projectors, you need to stack the visuals in two bands. And indeed the limitation becomes even more apparent if you use 4K projectors!

willtom

Post by willtom »

Thank you for the responses. Providing there are enough pcie lanes three oughtnt be any issues with as many capture cardsas I throw at it then? (Although that isn't likely to be a stupidly high number really)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Make sure you choose a motherboard that allows the physical placement of your capture cards in addition to your GPU.

willtom

Post by willtom »

And the electrical placement, some slots are limited if otherslots are in use

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Great reply Oaktown! Thank you for the detailed info :)

I thought the limitation for a single GPU was 7680x4320@60Hz, but you're saying it's 7680x4320@60Hz per port (DP 1.3).
So a single GPU can actually push 26,880x15,120@60 spread across 4 ports (3 8K DP 1.3 + 1 4K HDMI 2.0) and would be using the YUV420 8-bit color space?
*2 - 7680x4320 at 60 Hz RGB 8-bit with dual DisplayPort connectors or 7680x4320 at 60 Hz YUV420 8-bit with one DisplayPort 1.3 connector.*

TBH I've never gone past the 4K realm myself, just working on LED walls, I get what you're saying about large scale 360 projectionists. Makes perfect sense on the large canvas size for those applications.
I wonder how a single GPU can handle something that large?

Sorry if this getting a little off topic, I enjoy learning, and this is pretty interesting to me :)

jaydeeshow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by jaydeeshow »

To whom may concern,

what are you waiting to make Oaktown, KING and Resolume honorary member???

He is so valuable!!!!

Thank you on behalf of anyone taking your detailed answers.

Best,

J.