External GPU for Macbook pro

Bro, does your rig even lift?
rdpozo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

External GPU for Macbook pro

Post by rdpozo »

Hi forum,

Do any one of you have experience with running Resolume on a macbook pro with a external GPU? I have a macbook pro retina 2013 running Sierra and resolume 6. But im considering getting an external GPU to get more omph. Any advice, thoughts, experience?

Thanks

tajnost
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: External GPU for Macbook pro

Post by tajnost »

+1

want to upgrade, but first, need to know other users experience on this.

vj8k3
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj8k3 »

I dont know I'm a noob. But I read a lot of the forms here to try and get in the know and someone was saying that those external GPUs arnt good for Resolume. Idk where it was but if I find it Ill link it here
๐Ÿ‘ฎโ™Ÿ ลŸ๐•„๐•†โ“šแ—ด โ„‚ัโ“โ„ƒ๏ฝ‹ ๅ„๏ผกฮนฤน ๐“ˆฮ”โ“‰๐’ถล‡ ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Personally, I wouldn't. eGPU's are asking for trouble. They're great for at home rendering, but I would never recommend one for live use and travel dates.

Once you find a working driver, I wouldn't upgrade, driver issues and loose cables seem to be the biggest problems.

I feel that getting a eGPU for a MBP is just putting a band-aid over the issue. Why not save up a little more and get an actual powerhouse machine? A eGPU runs about-$400-$600, A good GPU is about $300-$1,000.
So for $700-1,600 you're putting on a band-aid. For $1,600-$2,400 your actually fixing the problem by getting a good PC ;)

just my 2cents

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

"So for $700-1,600 you're putting on a band-aid. For $1,600-$2,400 your actually fixing the problem by getting a good PC "

Thats a lot of money for a lot of people man ..
If you want to have mac os and good specs & gpu in a macbook pro , it's gonna be really expensive in the switch store.
Spending 800$ on a good macbook pro with thunderbolt port , which you might already have for work or studies , to make it possibly in a great vj machine is not bad. Surely beats the intel iris chip :lol:

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Grimm90 wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 11, 2019 01:16 "So for $700-1,600 you're putting on a band-aid. For $1,600-$2,400 your actually fixing the problem by getting a good PC "

Thats a lot of money for a lot of people man ..
If you want to have mac os and good specs & gpu in a macbook pro , it's gonna be really expensive in the switch store.
Spending 800$ on a good macbook pro with thunderbolt port , which you might already have for work or studies , to make it possibly in a great vj machine is not bad. Surely beats the intel iris chip :lol:
It beats the Intel chips, but stability is the issue. I know Oaktown has had good success with eGPU's but besides him and maybe 2 others, I have heard nothing but horror stories for live use. It also might have something to do with the environment it's in as well? Oaktown does a Ton of high end corporate shows, where as a buddy of mine was doing some ghetto rap fest where my LED modules where falling out of the LED wall that was rented.
My personal mantra is to do it right the first time. So If I can't afford something, I'll save and wait until I can. If you think having quality gear is expensive, wait until you buy cheap gear and it fails on you on-site and you loose an account or job... That get's real expensive.