Christie Boxer 4K, HD base T and Ethernet switch

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jaydeeshow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Christie Boxer 4K, HD base T and Ethernet switch

Post by jaydeeshow »

Hi guys,

For my next show I’ll use 3 Christie Boxer 4K 30,000 lumens.

I’m pretty excited but I’d like to make sure I use to full potential without compromising the flow of the gig.

The content will be custom made and of course in DXV format with uncompressed audio.
The plan is to stack two of them to double the light, we’re throwing on a dark red brick wall with six windows. Or blend 2 projectors in a 3840 wide x 3888 h with 20% blend plus the third if we go this way.
The third projector will point the ceiling and the idea is to create a cool visual effect.

I’m finally building a brand new server following Oaktown and Arvol advices;
ASUS x99 deluxe II
i7 - 6850
32 gb ram
1080 Ti ASUS turbo
Istar USA D400
M.2 Samsung evo 960 for content
Ssd 250gb Samsung 860 for Windows 10
Black magic mini recorder for live feed 1080p.

I’d like to control the parameters from the Ethernet lan through the Christie software.
I’d like to use my two display port for the signal, one for the two stacked and looping the second.
And the second DP for the third projector.

Composition 3840 x 4670 at 60hz.

Any advice?
Which Ethernet switch should I buy?
In case the display port direct is not feasible can I use my Atlona 70ps to go straight into the Christie?
I’m powering everything with 150A distro. Theatrics is the one to rent.

Thank you in advance!

On the following link a very short video about the concept.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tb46ghjswa8e ... M.MOV?dl=0

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Christie Boxer 4K, HD base T and Ethernet switch

Post by Oaktown »

The plan is to stack two of them to double the light, we’re throwing on a dark red brick wall with six windows. Or blend 2 projectors in a 3840 wide x 3888 h with 20% blend plus the third if we go this way.
This is two very different approaches! Keep the inverse square law of light in mind when you do your calculations. So, if you stack your projector but have to cover the same height, your will more than lose the advantage of your stack!
Which Ethernet switch should I buy?
A1GB 8-port switch should cover your needs. I would pay attention to Ethernet cables for long runs and use solid core for anything over 100ft. I use this model for most applications: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C2 ... UTF8&psc=1
In case the display port direct is not feasible can I use my Atlona 70ps to go straight into the Christie?
Unless you can be a few feet from your projectors, I would plan on using HDBaseT and yes your Atlona transmitters will work!
I’m powering everything with 150A distro. Theatrics is the one to rent.
The projector requires 200-240 19A 1ø (so you'll need (3) 200-240 30A 1ø circuits (L6-30R) which means a 150A 208Y/120 3ø distro will more than cover your needs. If at all possible, I would try to balance the load between the three projectors on all three phases (A/B, B/C and A/C).

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

I’ve noticed they finally made you a honorary member, well deserved. And thank you so much for your advices.

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Hi,

I have an update on this project.

First of all let me apologize because it will be a long and confuse explanation 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 Forgive me please.

The total height and width would be 617”x440”.
The maximum throw distance is 60’ (there’s a wall).

The client wants the surface to be approx. minimum 617” x 370”.
This surface is red dark brick and 9 windows.
We will be able to put some white light cardboard attached to the windows from the inside only.

I’ll use a truss at 14’ (is the same starting point of the projection height).
Show time will be 10pm and we will turn off most of the light.
The projectors are Christie Boxer 4K 30,000.

I’ll have three of them, and I was thinking to use two for one main composition (screen1) using a 25 active HDMI 4k 4:4:4. To a black magic converter HDMI to SDI 4K (Blackmagic Design Mini Converter HDMI to SDI 4K (CONVMBHS24K) by Blackmagic Design https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00VZ2GOSY/ref ... eBb1W4NWA9)
So I can feed the two boxer via SDI) and we’ll use the third projector 3840x2160 (Screen2) pointing towards the ceiling (light wood).

We have a storyboard and the idea is to have one composition pixels 3605 X 2160 24fps and ceiling screen is 3840x2160. 24fps.

Now, the client was pushing to cover all but I’m not sure it’s a great idea blending two 4K for 70”.
I’ve suggested to double up the lumens instead.

The throw distance initially was at the wall 65’ - 5’ for the projector itself.

But from this distance using a zoom 1.13-1:31 would not cover the minimum area (even if the the test I made it was with this lens inclined about 25*degrees with vertical off set. I’m assuming on a truss would lose inclination and dimensions there fore I’m opting to go for a 0.90 fixed Lens and get at 53’ of distance for a 16:9 - 617”x370” for a Comp 3605 pixels x 2160p. Masking the remaining to 3840 of max width.

Again so sorry if I’m confused.

I believe having a brighter image and 70” less it’s better than having to blend two projectors toes in portrait with some zoom weird outcome and extra blend.

I hope the more experts can give me an opinion and any recommendation.

The media server is a recently built;
i7 - 6850
32 GB ram
ASUS turbo 1080ti
M2. Memory for storage and 256 ssd for os.

For the screens I’m planning to use my datapath fx4 using display port input. Programmed 3840x2160 30hz.

Thank you for any help.

Best,

J.
Attachments
3179AF19-4D8F-4AB2-8EB3-3EF576D4748F.jpeg

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Woukd this be the perfect fit for thus show... without going true datapath and HDMI ?

Blackmagic Decklink SDI 4K.

If I plug 1 sdi to one boxer and loop out via sdi seeing as 1 3840x2160p one screen and if I plug the second sdi will I see another 4K screen ?

Sorry guys but I never worked with sdi :(

Mostly display port and HDMI.

Best,

J.
Attachments
769B6865-7F3C-4336-8ACB-2361B7E91A2E.jpeg

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Now, the client was pushing to cover all but I’m not sure it’s a great idea blending two 4K for 70”.
I’ve suggested to double up the lumens instead.
The red brick is going to absorb your lumens like crazy so I think it's a good move! If we assume a gain of .35, (2) 30K projectors will give you about 14fL which could work well if it's dark night!

I would go test the brightness with a small projector to get a sense of what you're dealing with (a 5K projecting a 15.5'W x 8.75'H image would be roughly the same).
I’ll use a truss at 14’ (is the same starting point of the projection height).
I would mount the projector stack on a 25ft equipment lift to have more flexibility.
But from this distance using a zoom 1.13-1:31 would not cover the minimum area (even if the the test I made it was with this lens inclined about 25*degrees with vertical off set. I’m assuming on a truss would lose inclination and dimensions there fore I’m opting to go for a 0.90 fixed Lens and get at 53’ of distance for a 16:9 - 617”x370” for a Comp 3605 pixels x 2160p. Masking the remaining to 3840 of max width.
Don't forget that a fixed lens has to be positioned at image center so if you can, and it seems like you have enough throw distance, I would use the 1.13~1.31:1 which would give you some lens shift options. It will be a lot easier to blend your stack.

EDIT: It looks like the 0.9:1 lens has some lens shift (offset: V: ±45%, H: ±15%). The 1.13~1.31:1 (offset: V: ±60%, H: 25%)

My $0.02 as always!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

If you go the SDI route, get two cards so each projector can have it's own signal for redundancy! That will also give you the ability to fine tune each projector in your media server.

You might want to look at the Christie Link Fiber Optic Transmitter if you can rent them locally.

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Oaktown wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 04:13 If you go the SDI route, get two cards so each projector can have it's own signal for redundancy! That will also give you the ability to fine tune each projector in your media server.

You might want to look at the Christie Link Fiber Optic Transmitter if you can rent them locally.
Oaktown wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 04:13 If you go the SDI route, get two cards so each projector can have it's own signal for redundancy! That will also give you the ability to fine tune each projector in your media server.

Thank you, Frederic,

the budget doesn't allow me to rent anything else. Therefore no fibre.
In regards of the Blackmagic, are you saying to plug both SDI output to the 2 in of the boxer?

When did you say blend and stack in the previous you meant to double up the lumens like I think I should go?
The only way for me to have the same image on the boxer is to send HDMI to 2 SDI, 1 to one projector and the second to the second projector. Of course, I have to perfect alignment the same image. My Hitachi are super easy to do this, any experience with Christie? I know they have auto stack, but I have no camera for auto alignment and we don't have the Christie link

The lift is not feasible for some new building regulation.

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

I read somewhere that the black magic deck link will result in some frames delay, how will affect my show?
Will the HDMI with two sdi out would be a better choice?

Would you recommend to use two OUT SDI into the boxer 4K and then loop two boxer SDI out into the stacked boxer on top?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I read somewhere that the black magic deck link will result in some frames delay, how will affect my show?
Are you doing Imag?
Will the HDMI with two sdi out would be a better choice?
My preferred approach would be HDBaseT especially if the Boxers you're renting have the HDBaseT card. If not, just get (2) RX/TX units and if you go that route, make sure you use solid core CAT6A ethernet cables.
Would you recommend to use two OUT SDI into the boxer 4K and then loop two boxer SDI out into the stacked boxer on top?
No I would recommend using two independent HDMI to SDI 4K adapter or PCIe card out of your server.
In regards of the Blackmagic, are you saying to plug both SDI output to the 2 in of the boxer?
No, if you use one HDMI to SDI 4K adapter, you'll want to plug one SDI cable into each projector.

Keep in mind that 6G-SDI single cable is not quite as easy to extend at 12G-SDI quad cable so be mindful of the type of cables you use and the length of your runs.
When did you say blend and stack in the previous you meant to double up the lumens like I think I should go?
The only way for me to have the same image on the boxer is to send HDMI to 2 SDI, 1 to one projector and the second to the second projector.
Don't you have more than one output?
Of course, I have to perfect alignment the same image. My Hitachi are super easy to do this, any experience with Christie? I know they have auto stack, but I have no camera for auto alignment and we don't have the Christie link
I still do everything with the naked eye! I always set my first projector, overshoot the second one so that I am slightly over the first one everywhere and do the blending in the projectors if they have curved correction and if not I do in software (Arena for the most part) using two different outputs.