4K from Computer to Datapath over Cat5

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: 4K from Computer to Datapath over Cat5

Post by Arvol »

I've had 2 shows fail with Gefen converters and since then I don't use them. We did some very bass heavy DJ's and the HDbaseT converters rattled so much the signal was dropping on each hit.

The second show was a church setup and the converters would flicker every so often (not enough to stop the show, but it was VERY noticeable).

The church show was first and i sent the units in for repair and the DJ was the second show. after that I just sold them and have been using SDI ever since. (this was within the last 3 years)

On the other side, I use to use Black Box HDbaseT converters back in the day for museum and KVM installs and they worked great, but those were all ran in cable tray's and there was nothing disturbing the setup.

To each their own, I just wanted to give my 2 cents and my environments so people could learn from my experiences :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To each their own, I just wanted to give my 2 cents and my environments so people could learn from my experiences :)
I totally get it and was not trying to downplay your experience.

For me the limitation comes from the fact that I usually try to push 3840x2400/30 (4 WUXGA projectors) so SDI is not an option.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I know you weren't :D

100% feel ya.
SDI is VERY limited when it comes to anything past 1080p right now.

6G works at 100m but 12G is still the wild wild west. I'm currently in a giant email thread with Canare, Belden, AJA, Atomos, and BMD about getting a 12G standard that works at 100m. The cables are spec'd to work but each manufactuer are using different configurations of the TI chips and because of that, the outputting power is different and some devices are good to even get 50m of 12G, and other devices don't connect well with other brands of 12G devices due to the sync clock not resetting on eDid changes.

It's a giant cluster F* right now, the wild wild west haha.

So for anything over 1080p HDbaseT or Fiber is the only way to go.
HDbaseT will be the much cheaper solution of the 2.

SiNiSon
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by SiNiSon »

I have used monoprice/amazon active fiber hdmi cables at 100ft no problems.. and Blackmagic 6g SDI/HDMI converters at 200ft (with good cable) all 2160/24 and 2160/30.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568

https://www.amazon.com/DTECH-Fiber-Opti ... Bhdmi&th=1

If that helps at all... last one was the D-Tech cable single feed to 3xdatapath 4K/30 split into 9 1280x720 feeds at the far end.

S

trekfan42

Post by trekfan42 »

Are people not having great success with NDI? I seem to have no problems with 4k footage on a dedicated NDI network over gigabit ethernet.
I haven't tried 2 individual 4k streams yet though, I think it might be worth a shot sounds like it will be simpler and less conversion and less pof.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

trekfan42 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:09 Are people not having great success with NDI? I seem to have no problems with 4k footage on a dedicated NDI network over gigabit ethernet.
I haven't tried 2 individual 4k streams yet though, I think it might be worth a shot sounds like it will be simpler and less conversion and less pof.
How many ndi DVI-DL converters do you know of?
Always the problem I’ve had with X4s, needs powered DVI-DL for 4k@30.

trekfan42

Post by trekfan42 »

drazkers wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:37
trekfan42 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 15:09 Are people not having great success with NDI? I seem to have no problems with 4k footage on a dedicated NDI network over gigabit ethernet.
How many ndi DVI-DL converters do you know of?
Always the problem I’ve had with X4s, needs powered DVI-DL for 4k@30.
Well I guess you would need a computer to receive it