4 channel composite video card

Bro, does your rig even lift?
tajnost
Is taking Resolume on a second date

4 channel composite video card

Post by tajnost »

Hi!
I'm looking for a video capture card or device (USB or Thunderbolt ) for MacBook with 4x composite inputs to connect my analog rig (video synthesizers, glitch devices, analog cameras ) to the Resolume to play and mix in a real time.

It would be perfect to have composite output/s as well.

Can't find anything around so decided to ask your advice.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: 4 channel composite video card

Post by Arvol »

I would check ebay. and you will probably need an older computer, or a computer with an older OS on it. I haven't seen composite or anything analog being released as a "new" product in a while
(it's not something I've actively been searching, so maybe there is a company out there, just not any of the big players. Everything I've seen is SDI these days. They're even phasing out DVI now)

tajnost

Post by tajnost »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it seems like there are not so many new devices with composite inputs around and probably it should be something "old".

I've found a few devices, kind of "security cameras control centers/recorders" with 4 or 8 composite inputs and USB... but I'm not sure if they work correctly with current Mac/Osx line and if the quality is ok.

Perhaps, in my situation, it would be more logical to stay in the analog domain and use hardware mixer like Edirol V4 for all of my needs, but I really want to have all the power of Resolume, and keep the live video system as portable as possible.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Blackmagic has the intensity Shuttle which you can get with USB3 or thunderbolt, and it has 1x composite input/output.
You should be able to hook up 2 or more of them to your machine, and use them either as an input or an output. Probably not the cheapest solution.

They are said to be picky about the USB controller though, so make sure you have a compatible motherboard.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Magewell’s gen1 usb3 capture cards had a 6 composure input card. Altho i only saw it used on windows and it’s like 700usd.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

This is what I would use:
  • (4) Blackmagic Analog to SDI Mini Converters
  • (4) 3G-SDI cables
  • (1) Blackmagic Duo 2 (or Quad 2)
  • Thunderbolt 2 cable
  • (1) OWC Mercury Helios 2 Chassis
If you need it to rent the gear for a short term project and you're located in tge US, PM me as I have most of it at our warehouse.

tajnost

Post by tajnost »

Thank you all 4 your comments and ideas! Still not decided, since all the variant are not really compact and/or quite expensive, except the Intensity Shuttle.

Does anybody know if the shuttle has independent Component / Composite / S-Vid inputs ( = they could be used all together as 3 independent inputs all at the same time )? If so I guess this is just the perfect solution for my situation. I wrote to BM support, but still no reply from them...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

No, the BMD Intensity Shuttle can only capture one thing!

The only PCIe card that Blackmagic carries these days that can take Analog in is the DeckLink Studio 4K. If you can find some used Decklink Studio or Studio 2, they are great cards to have but you'd still need to find a way to get 4 in your rig!

Are you needing this for one project or for a long term installation? If it's for one short project, I can probably put a Thunderbolt rig together for you and you could rent it from us assuming you're in the US.

EDIT: Here is a card that might work for you assuming you can find a PCIe chassis for your Mac: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Osprey-Model-9 ... m570.l1313

tajnost

Post by tajnost »

No! I do this regularly as a part of my A/V performance project which I show at the a/v festivals / galleries / art centers etc... and no... I'm in Europe.

Right now I use only one cheap USB composite input "stick" (however, it works ok for my needs ) to connect old video mixer which mixing my video synths / glitch machines / cameras / diy devices / tapes etc... So this is quite "old school" technic. Sometimes I just connect directly to the projector without the computer. But I realize how nice it would be to have each device on its channel in Resolume with an assigned midi controller.

Maybe 4 channels is too much and I just can live with 3 / 2 composite inputs. Of course, I can get another 2 - 3 pieces of those cheap USB cards, they seem reliable and not too bad, but I want a bit better quality and kind of "all in one" solution + maybe more options (hdmi, composite output, other interfaces... it's all very useful ).

So... I don't need to be in a hurry, just looking for a perfect solution with will cover all needs....

admiralperpetual

Post by admiralperpetual »

https://www.startech.com/ca/AV/Converte ... ~USB3HDCAP
could use 4 of these.. oh but not with macbook unless you run windows on it as it uses DirectShow.